New Flemish Giant - nipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

Doubtful anyone here knows me. I used to post quite frequently years ago. I had a German Angora (Mr. Wiggles) and a Jersey Wooley (Bunny Foo Foo). They've both been gone quite awhile but they were very special to me. Back in the day there was a lady that had a Flemish Giant and I loved reading her stories, he was an AWESOME rabbit. I always said that someday I wanted a Flemish Giant, well hubby surprised me with one for Christmas!! I am so excited. I believe he's a boy and he's about 8 weeks old.

Most of my buns came to me as adults and I've never had a biter. This little boy was rather timid to start out with but by mid day he was much more confident. He started nipping at my hands, not hard enough to break the skin, but as though he was trying to toss my hand away. Is this a baby thing, a first day thing, or a personality thing? What is the best response to nipping? I didn't get to pick out the bun myself and the breeder said I could come back to exchange it if I want. If the nipping is not normal I may want to do that as soon as possible, could be we're just not a good fit.

Also I can't tell if he's grey or brown! He's greige, not gray-not beige. LOL Do they change color as they mature?

Thanks y'all!
Megan

my lionhead was pretty nippy when I got her... she especially liked to nip at my pants. whenever she nibbled/nipped, I would gently press her head down to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds - that's how a momma bunny would discipline a kit, so they know what it means. worked like a charm :)

My baby Flemish never nips my hands, but when I just got her, she would playfully nip and tug at clothing. I did what Imbrium just described (and my Flemish has also learned what a firm but quiet NO means) and she soon learned that using her mouth on clothing was not acceptable. Now she just nose bonks you like crazy if you are "in her way" or she's just feeling playful :)

My Flemish only nipped ankles for anshort while and I believe it was to express affection. A few high screeches, only for a short bit as being a big guy it felt strange and unnatural, and then pushing his head down for a few seconds got him out of that for the most part.

Thanks everyone!! Do you know of any videos demonstrating the push the head down technique? What I was doing seemed to be making it worse, maybe I was doing it wrong. He also started digging at my daughters lap tonight, the suggestion of flipping them over popped into my head so I did that twice and he stopped.

Also my friend got two as well and I took him over when we visited today. He immediately started eating her buns food, but has not eaten much for me. I assumed it was nerves but looks like it was probably the food. I think a hungry bun could definitely turn into a grumpy bun!! :D

Please refresh my memory, I was thinking of getting him a buddy. I remember one of each sex was best but I really do hate getting buns fixed, scares me to death and I don't do it unless absolutely necessary. Can I have two unfixed boys if they're raised together?

Thanks for the advice!
Megan

The hormones would kick in in a few months and they would probably start to fight. You would want a male/female bond, but you would need to get them fixed to avoid babies.

For the digging, my baby bun digs too. On me and my couch. I don't know why she is doing it, but its a little funny. My bun is always probably a 1/4 of the size of yours. lol
For the pushing of the head down, you just push his head and shoulders down, for a few seconds. Not a long period of time. A few seconds should tell him NO. I do it to my bun and she's learning. She gets a little nippy with the fingers but she hasn't nipped my fingers in a few days because I think she's understanding.

Are you feeding the same food that he was eating before you got him? The sudden food change isn't a good thing, they need time to adjust to new foods. Is he getting enough hay?

The digging thing can be a way to get your attention. Like, 'I need to pee, you better get me to my litter box', or 'where's my food I'm hungry'. It can also just be them trying to move something. The towel, the covering on the couch, your shirt, your leg. I personally don't let my rabbits keep doing it, but if they do I'll try to figure out what it is they want, especially if it's the litter box :)

And yeah, new foods should always be introduced gradually or if your bun has a sensitive stomach, you could end up with a sick bun.

Awesome thanks!

I'm not sure what food he was eating before. My friend conspired with my husband about this. She picked out the bunny and brought it over and he bought the supplies, I don't think my husband thought to ask about the food.

Thanks!
Megan

Oh, I was going to say too that sometimes a nipping or nudging the hand could mean he wants to be petted.

So foodwise, if you don't have the same food he was being fed before you got him, usually the best way to go about feeding to avoid tummy upset, is to give unlimited grass hay, then with the pellets you want to slowly introduce small amounts(like 1/4-1/2 tsp) at each feeding for a couple days, then if the poops stay normal, you gradually increase the amounts over 2-3 weeks. Make sure you are feeding a plain pellet with no added treats in it too. Amount wise to work up to, unlimited is suggested for baby bunnies until 6 mo. old, but I've had problems feeding unlimited to my bunnies. They would get poopy bums. So I feed limited pellets. Just try what works best for your bun. Amount wise for limited pellets would just depend on how big of a bunny he is. You might be ok not doing a gradual transition, but if you happen to have a bun that is sensitive to food changes, it could make him deathly ill. I always transition onto new foods just to be safe. Make sure he's eating plenty of hay too.

Have you posted pics of your little guy. I would love to see him :)

I cant help with the behavior but you asked about the color. Rabbits don't normally change color, but more commonly get darker. Flemish Giants come in a color called Sandy. It is an Agouti color with Rings or Bands of different colors on the hair. Here's a picture
FlemishGiantSandy.jpg

UPDATE!! I was really struggling with having my little dude be an only child. I have a house full of critters and most of them are in pairs, I just think they're happier that way and I loved watching my other buns interact together. So I decided I would bite the bullet and have them both nuetered so I got another little boy today. I will be a nervous wreck that day, hate surgery!

The new bunny doesn't have a name yet but I named the first bunny Nate Berkus. The nipping has subsided so I'm happy about that. Nate Berkus' favorite way to be held is on his back with his rump at my chest and his head cradled in my hand, he gets so relaxed!! I tried it on the new bun and Nate Berkus was having a fit, climbing all over me, bumping my hand, nipping my watch ;) I was surprised by his reaction since I've only had him two days, definitely cute though. I'm using my phone so I will see if I can post pics..

r4QZttTo0Re3vdYRWC9GN9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Thanks for the help and advice!
Megan

Latest posts

Back