New Ear Drop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Some of you may know me as April :) and know my Roscoe gets ear infections a couple times a years. This new vet I'm taking him too has put him on a new ear drop and I can't find anything about it when I google it. Can anyone tell me if it's for rabbit's ears? It's Baytril Otic.

Doc did a culture on his ears and it grew out nothing :( I was hoping to get a proper medicine from the culture but thats not gonna happen.

Thanks for any help, April

We have used Baytril Otic on Big Bunny (our Cali). He gets a crusty, itchy thing in his ears from time to time and the vet decided it was a yeast infection. The Baytril Otic does a good job, but that could be mostly because he spends so long trying to get it out that he grooms the crud out with it. He really hates it. :p It's a combination of Baytril (enrofloxacin) and silver sulfadiazine. The baytril is of course an antibiotic and the silver sulf. is antibiotic and antifungal.

Roscoe is the three-legged bunny, right? Is the infection in the ear he can't clean? You could consider cleaning out the part of his ear that isn't the ear canal with q-tips occasionally. I wouldn't want to put anything, liquid or q-tip, down toward the ear canal itself, but there's another little side pocket (where Big Bunny gets his ear crud) that you could clean. Maybe you just need to figure out how to get Suzi to clean it for him. Maybe some artificial banana flavoring. :)

edit: wanted to add that most dog/cat ear products are ok for bunnies with the following exceptions: no steroids, and no ear products if the ear drum has been ruptured. Many of these compounds can cause ear damage if they get into the ear proper.

Yes, Roscoe is the 3 legged rabbit. And it is the side he's missing the leg. I have seen Suzi clean his ears, but I think he gets ear infections from allergies cause he gets them every Spring and Fall.

The other drops he was on from the other vet they did have steroids in them. She didn't want him on them drops or steroids. Thanks for explaining :) I couldn't find anything online. I feel better now.

Thank you!!

Yes, Roscoe is the 3 legged rabbit. And it is the side he's missing the leg. I have seen Suzi clean his ears, but I think he gets ear infections from allergies cause he gets them every Spring and Fall.

The other drops he was on from the other vet they did have steroids in them. She didn't want him on them drops or steroids. Thanks for explaining :) I couldn't find anything online. I feel better now.

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back