New cage set up need some ideas for selves.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Ok so we are moving into a bigger apartment on sept 1st.

Same rent it just does not have stairs so the lay out is bigger. But the way the living room is set up storms cage will have to change.

I have measured and right now he has a four by two andd two high.

Well he will have to have a 2 x 2 and 3 high I know its smaller and I feel bad but in this apartment he will be able to be free rome during the day we are going to bun proof everything as we move in.

But I cant figure out the selves. If I do three he will only have one square hole to jump on to the next level if I do two he wont have alot of selve room.

He have a first and second level now with 2 sqares to jump

any help I am going to check out the the cage thread now but we are changing his cage early so he does not have a new cage and new place all in the same day. He does not handle stress well.

Storm is a 2 pound netherland dwarf.

and will this cage be big enough for him. he will have to be in it when we are both at work as I will not leave him out unsupervised with the dog and cat for that matter

Ok i went and looked and found one cage it was not a 2 by 2 but it had a section of 2 by 2.

any ideas are welcome We are doing it next sunday so I will take pictures of the finished product

I've had NIC style cages with only 1 grid-square hole for jumping up and down, and eveyone seemed to be able to manage just fine.

Nigel's is currently 2x2x3 high and has two shelves, 1x2, and there's plenty of room for both he and Vic to flop out on the shelves.

So either way should be fine for your bun. Why not try him out with a gap of 1 grid-square, and you can always take it out if it doesn't work for him?

If you just left one square gap to get up, is there something you could put below to help him up? I agree with Becca I would try leaving on square open to get up and see how he does. I can't wait to see the pics.

Thanks for the ideas. To me me the cage he is in now is to small. Everyone tells me its not but I have never seen a bigger bun in person.
So storm as a netherland dwarf is big to me. I guess if I saw afive or 6 pound bunny it would be different.

I know he is spoiled with his cage size. I am going to try to do a three by two then three high. But hubby said that would be to over powering. I am going to work on it Sunday and Monday so y'all will see the finished product

Don't worry if Storm's new cage is a bit smaller than the old one. When I moved, I had to reduce the size of Nick and Amelia's pen, and I felt really guilty about out. They have adjusted, though. I'm sure they would prefer a bigger cage, but they don't seem depressed over it. They still have room to hop around and jump up and down the steps in their condo, so they're fine.

Especially if Storm will get some free-roam time outside his cage, he will be ok. Many bunnies aren't lucky enough to have a nice pen with 3 levels like Storm will have.

:)

My buns are terrible at jumping so I put shelves half-way up the panel. That works really well for them. I only have a two by two by two NIC Cage but it has three shelves in it of two panels each. They have a run attached to it so they are only in there while I'm at work. Works just perfect for them. Oh and Loki is a Holland and Lily is a Lionhead.

t.

edited to add: The cage has to be that small because my room is that small. hehe! :p

one solution i used is kept it one hole (I use NIC thingies) and bought one of those doggie stair steppers that let small dogs get on the bed and put it in there. the buns LOVE to just hop up and down the stairs & its easy for my chunky buns.

Latest posts

Back