New Cage Not Eating Help Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahnicolexoxo

Reaction score
Okay so I got my bunny a new cage which is by the same people just one size bigger. I put him in it and I thought he was happy but now I don't know. He's drinking more water than usual and is eating hay occasionally but not much, he hasn't touched his pellets and he's just always refused any veggies. I'm really worried. What should I do???

The problem is not really 'being happy'. If your rabbit is really skittish, changing cage might have stressed him out which can cause a slowing of the guts and provoke a stasis (if he is currently moulting, the combination might have caused it). How long has it been going on? Is your rabbit showing signs of pain? (grinding his teeth, staying hunched or pressing his belly against the floor) Is he still pooping? (if you are unsure, empty the litter box so that you can monitor correctly what's going on). If he is, do the droppings look normal? Are they small?
If your rabbit is not pooping or making small poops (or worse, if there is mucus in it), you have to go to the vet now. And I mean NOW - phone your vet immediately and explain that it's an absolute emergency. You'll need an x-ray to check there isn't any blockage, and metacam for the pain and Emeprid (Reglan) to stimulate the guts if no blockage appears. Stasis is relatively easy to cure when caused by stress, if you take it early (the first 24hours are critical). It will cause death after a few days if left untreated.

He is still pooping just not as much and it's much smaller. He hadn't eaten for a day and a half so I took him to the vet and they ran a diabetes test due to the excessive amount of water he was drinking. It was negative so she gave me powder to mix with water to orally feed him till he starts eating again and I moved him back to his old cage for now

Not eating and small poops are signs of slow guts. I'm guessing the powder is critical care? It's to replace the hay he isn't eating. I wouldn't move the rabbit back and forth from one cage to another. He changed cage, this is his home now. Clearly it stressed him out so you have to let him settle in his new environment.
I'm actually a bit surprised the vet just gave you CC. When a rabbit stops eating it's because he is in pain (probably because he feels constipated in your case). And his guts are not working as fast as they should. I would have given Metacam for the pain and Reglan for a few days to help to guts moving...
Is your vet specialized in rabbits?

Latest posts

Back