New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
I'm adopting a new bunny, he's a bunny from a girl who's down on her luck and she needs to rehome him..anyway he's gonna be in a totally different room then Iris but I want to eventually have them together but Iris hasn't had another bunny around since her brother when I adopted her so I'm just wondering how should I introduce them, any tips would be really great, Iris is spayed and Bucky is nutered so there's no issues there plus they have both recently been to the vet so no health problems..any tips..

Start with pre bonding them. I usually like to really take my time bonding rabbits and I don’t usually stress bond them (though I know a lot of people who do this successfully) given that you have him and your 1st bun can’t ‘choose’her mate I would start with putting their enclosures / cages next to each other, a few inches apart so they can’t reach each other through the bars. I usually leave that for a week. If you free roam or partially free roam be sure to individually give them access to the same area. After a week I switch the bunny’s enclosure for 24 hours. So take your male and put him in the females cage and take her and put her in his cage so that they get used to being in each other’s territory and smell. After a week or so of daily switching I start introducing / date them in a completely neutral area where neither rabbit has been before (bathroom, or porch is what I use in my apartment). Play it by ear and stop the date before they have a chance to fight. Be sure to have something on hand to separate them. A piece of large thick cardboard or a dust pan work well. Also I reccomend protecting your hands with thick gloves or oven mitts. I usually start with 15 min sessions 2-3 x per day and increase the session length based on how they are doing and what my schedule is like. The first time I bonded buns I found all the info on YouTube and there are some great resources / tips available there. Good luck! Remember everybun is different and it can take a while so be patient :)

So I have had them together a few times now and it's gone really well so far both seem pretty okey with eachother and a bit of foot stomping and hair pulling but other then that it's been good,they are only together when I'm around and both still have separate space but so far so good..

Latest posts

Back