New Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've decided to go with Cody for his name. This was Jason's favorite of all suggested here and on FB, plus it's ok with the rescue manager. (If we don't keep him, he will keep his name when he goes back into foster care. We try not to have two bunnies with the same name at the same time.)

We will be keeping Cody at least until the next meeting, which is the second Saturday of the month. We'll probably take both of them to the meeting, there might be a girl there for Benjamin to meet. If that works out, Cody will go home with the rescue manager. Otherwise, we will keep him and keep working with him.

Benjamin was very grumpy at the last bonding session, so we haven't had one in a few days. Will probably try tomorrow.

I think Cody is very conflicted- He want's affection, but hasn't had good luck with it in the past. He gets skittish, but then will present for pets. He has nipped me a couple times, but he doesn't bite very hard. He is very funny, and will strike and then pull back very quickly. Other times he will head butt me. I have been trying to spend time with him, letting him approach me and then I will pet him.

He is still not eating the pellets, but his hay consumption has increased, which is good. I have also doubled the size of the salad I was giving him. (Last week all he was eating was the 1/2 cup of greens in the morning. Now he gets a cup of greens, plus he's eating hay.) He looks like he's lost weight already. I wish he would lose it more slowly, but I think it's because he's refusing pellets. Hopefully he will start eating them soon. The only "treat" he is getting right now is a tiny sliver of unsweetened dry papaya at bedtime. One day I did offer a few oats, just to make sure he was willing to eat, which he was.

Also, his pen is large enough for him to make several hops, which he did not have for the past year, so he is moving around more. Today he got a nail trim, they were all VERY long.

Also good: He's starting to figure out his litter box!! Today when I got home, there was only one pee spot outside the box, and the newspaper on one end of the box was quite wet. Twice a day I have been cleaning poops off the floor and tossing them in the box (which greatly agitates him), and today there were fewer poops lying around. As soon as the "accidents" are fewer, I can open the pen up a little more for even more run time.

He's also cleaning himself better. I don't think he was able to clean or reach his cecals very well, he was just too overweight. Tonight's butt bath was very quick, he was cleaner today than he has been. Also, only one gross spot on the rug today.

So, that's the update, sorry for the book!

Hey Beth, didn't my rabbit Toby suggest the name Cody on facebook? LOL Toby is sitting on my back, demanding credit. :biggrin2:

I'm glad Cody is doing well, and he couldn't be in a better home to start his new life of being a healthy, happy, and understood bunner.

Do you have a scale sp that you can record his current weight? So you know how much progress he's making :)

kirbyultra wrote:
Hey Beth, didn't my rabbit Toby suggest the name Cody on facebook? LOL Toby is sitting on my back, demanding credit. :biggrin2:

I'm glad Cody is doing well, and he couldn't be in a better home to start his new life of being a healthy, happy, and understood bunner.

Do you have a scale sp that you can record his current weight? So you know how much progress he's making :)
Yep, Helen, it was Toby who suggested the "winning" name! There were so many good suggestions, it was hard to choose, but Cody seems to fit. Give Toby an extra nose rub for me! Thank you Toby!!

No, I don't have a scale. Maybe I should try to get one this week. (I have a regular bathroom scale, but it doesn't work for the bunnies. Also I hate the sight of it because it tells me things I don't want to hear!! I need one of those nice baby scales like Ali has.

I love Cody and I am so happy that he's doing so much better with his litter training, running around and weight :) Good for him!!!

Good to hear things aregoinggood and Cody is no longer having to be called Chloe:p
take care.

If you have a bathroom scale, you can work out his weight from that - this is what we do for Toby, who wouldn't stand still on a scale for anything. I get on the scale and weigh myself, and then I hold Toby and stand on the scale and get my husband to read the new weight. That way you can work it out easily enough.

The bathroom scale is fine for generally recording weight of a bun but I think between normal human weight changes and the very subtle changes of a bun, it may not be enough to detect the couple ounces that are critical. Smaller buns like dwarf buns may only need to drop 3 ounces to be at a healthy weight.

Ok don't laugh: I use a food scale. I zero out a big metal bowl and then I put the bun on the scale. Voilà! I also use this scale when I bake and it detects to .01 ounce changes.

Oh, great idea, Helen! I will dig out my giant mixing bowl and use it with my kitchen scale. My bathroom scale is quite temperamental even on the best of days. I can weigh myself three times in five minutes and get three different weights. (Maybe it needs a new battery.) My kitchen scale is much more accurate.

I love a multitasker! You won't soon be weighting any flemmies on a food scale, but for most buns in the single digit pounds, I think it works wonderfully.

Now, don't hold this against me, but I did once have to put a pot lid over the bowl because Toby wouldn't stop hopping out of the bowl. It was only for 2 seconds to get a reading! He disapproved immensely, and I had to make up for it all day.

Poor Cody got weighed tonight:

IMG_0127.jpg

He was very good and sat still for me.

We also had a bonding session, but there was nothing special. No grooming tonight. The boys don't seem interested in each other at all.

OMG I love the pic of Cody being weighed. He looks like he is saying, "um, what am I doing in this bowl?"

I am really crossing my finger that Cody and Benjamin bond. But if they don't at least there are some single femals and Cody has a place to go.

I think even if the bonding time wasn't special, if they didn't fight that is good. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

A quick update:

Cody hasn't lost a ton of weight, but he seems to be cleaning himself now, and he's eating his cecals. I will weight him again tomorrow. (No more butt baths and no more cecals squished into his rug, yay!!) He's slowly learning to use the litter box, he uses it about half the time now.
He still doesn't care for the pellets, but I'm giving him a full cup of mixed salad each morning now and he loves it. Hay consumption is up.

Bonding doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Last session, Cody tried to head-butt Benjamin. Benjamin hopped on past, ignoring the action, but kept his back turned to Cody for the rest of the time. No grooming in the past two sessions.

The monthly HRS meeting is this Saturday. I am going to take both bunnies in with me. I am hoping there will be an actual girl there Benjamin can meet. There's also someone interested in adopting a single bunny, so we'll see if they are interested in Cody. I'm not sure, though, as his litter box isn't 100% and he's still a little cage-aggressive and can be nippy. He's got potential, but he needs work to bring it out. Most of the people who adopt from us aren't interested in a bunny with "issues."

Not sure what will happen, he might go live somewhere else at that point. I will be very sad to see him go, but I just don't have room for another single. I am hoping one of the foster homes will have a spot for him. Tobi hasn't been able to come out an hop for the past two weeks, since he's been here.
:tears2:

Beth, thanks for providing a warm and loving home for Cody these past couple of weeks. I know it's hard for you since he has some special needs and you don't really have the space and poor Tobi hasn't been able to come out. I really hope you're able to find another bunny who is a good match for Benjamin and that Cody goes somewhere nice. It's a shame that people aren't willing to adopt bunnies with issues- I mean, I can understand it of course and am just glad they want to adopt, but it doesn't sound like Cody's issues are permanent. I've dealt with a severely cage aggressive bunny with questionable litter box habits and it wasn't a big problem for me. He was my first bunny, I loved him to bits and thought they were all like that :)

Thanks, Shiloh. If I had the space, I would keep Cody. I don't mind that he has issues, all of mine have some kind of issues anyway.
I probably shouldn't worry about Tobi's run time, her pen is large enough for her to run circles in.

Who knows, if there is not a suitable girlfriend for Benjamin at tomorrow's meeting, maybe we'll keep Cody another month and I'll keep working with him.

Cody came back home with us today. There were two people who could foster him. The first guy keeps his bunnies in his basement- which is flooded right now. He also doesn't have his air conditioning on yet, even though it's been getting into the upper 80's/low 90's. (He also doesn't open windows at night when it's cool to air things out.)
The second could only take him for a month, tops.

It was a very stressful decision to make, but my husband and I finally decided that Cody has been through a lot and shuffling him around again and again isn't going to improve his temperament much. We also don't think he needs to go to the hot flooded place.

So. We had to move the cedar chest out of the living room (it's now blocking part of the dining room) and put his cage in there. Our plan is to keep working with him to try to get rid of the cage aggression. At that point, he will be a candidate to be adopted out. Plan B is to introduce him to Tobi. I really don't know how that will go, but it would be nice if they liked each other. If they got along, we would just keep him.

Oh, and we couldn't just leave him in the pen where he was at, as Benjamin found a girlfriend that he just LOVES. She spent a lot of time kissing him, and he spent some time trying to hump her. LOL. (He also kissed her.) We brought her home, I hope that will be an easy bonding. She has no name yet. (Her foster name was Huey.) She is a Hotot or Hotot mix, very young. (Maybe 3 months.)

Yeah i can understand why you brought Cody back home..i would have done exactly the same thing as well.

Ooo Benjamin has a potential new girlfriend..that's great...i hope the bonding goes well with them both.

You will have to post some pictures of this lucky lil girl..

You are such a good person Beth to bring Cody home with you. I don't blame you, it doesn't sound like either foster home was an ideal situation.

I am happy you got a new girl. Off to find the thread for her. And you do need to start a blog! I would love to see updates of all your buns!

Latest posts

Back