New bunny won’t come out. RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say too, that if he nose bumps you or shoves his head under your hand, try a tiny forehead scratch with a finger to see how he responds. When a new bun comes up to me, I will usually slowly move my hand toward their head(from the side where they can see best), then let them smell my hand for a second. If they don't try and move away I will give a tiny forehead rub to see how they respond. If they move away or are busy exploring and investigating around me, I won't continue to try and pet them. But if they lay their head down or sit still there(which means they probably want head rubs), then I will gently continue the head rubs until they get back up and move away or start looking around again.

But if he does immediately hop away when you try moving your hand towards him, I would give it some more time before trying to reach towards him again, as it may be he's not quite ready yet.

After he came out for a long time yesterday morning, he didn’t come out again. He wasn’t eating or drinking much and hardly moved but he did pee at least once so we waited until today to see how he was. Cleaned his cage and measured exactly how much food and water. He didn’t eat, drink or move throughout the morning so we took him to the emergency vet (our vet isn’t open on sundays) and he has GI stasis. Snowball has had this before so we know how to deal with this, they gave us pain medicine and we are giving him critical care. Poor Auggie!

This is somewhat separate but I’m on a search for treats for baby buns. Of course it’s not a big deal but I like feeding my bunnies one treat a day (typically fruit) So no oats, fruits, veggies or store bought treats (not for any buns though). Would Timothy hay cubes be fine (of course when he’s feeling better) The only ingredient is sun cured Timothy hay (so I guess not exactly a treat but something that’s slightly different). I bought them but also for the other rabbits. And last thing, I read that you can give rabbits orchard grass hay. I want to give them a variety so I bought some. Only for the older buns, not Auggie, but do I just mix it in with their normal Timothy hay?I was planning on mixing a tiny bit of it but still mostly Timothy hay. Thanks!

Also thought of something. Won’t he hate coming out and probably me now?Because obviously he won’t come out on his own since he’s sick so we have to grab him out of our own. When he’s not sick anymore, will I just have to be really patient? Also, the vet said I should handle him more. Should I wait until he’s used to me as @JBun mentioned in her last reply?And he hates the syringe. Any advise on that? We wrap him in a towel and he jerks his head away or burrows into the towel. Sorry this was 2 replies, I forgot to say this in the first one.

Any grass hay is fine for buns. Timothy, orchard, bermuda, meadow, oat -- any grass hay. (Alfalfa is not grass but a legume)

For how to syringe feed him meds, etc, this video might help (this is with a difficult bun, as you will see):

Oh, and the timothy hay cubes are often viewed by bunnies as a special treat. Mine always liked them!

I’m not really sure how to say this but.. Auggie passed away last night. I feel awful but I know we did everything we could’ve to help him. We fed him critical care and syringe fed him water multiple times each day. We gave him his medicine for 5 days. We were gone all day apple picking so I never got to say goodbye or notice anything was wrong and take him to the vet. We did syringe feed him twice before we left so I don’t understand what happened. He must’ve been suffering every day for more than a week so I know he’s in a better place. Since a few days ago he wanted me to pet him and relaxed when I did pet him. He normally licked my face and nudged my arm until I pet him. How he relaxed when I pet him:5AA216DD-B39B-40FD-9AEB-CC6A38598496.jpeg
Just some pictures of him because I miss him so much F54B769E-59C0-45CA-A436-50EC5B93C83E.jpeg 53CA92C8-1558-4D3F-B71E-58ED79724289.jpeg23B9271C-5EC1-4162-9AC1-5B47DFD68196.jpeg0C8466C2-726A-40B5-BC88-4C17778099A1.jpeg12152B32-5907-40C7-9837-1825F857D170.jpeg

I’m not really sure how to say this but.. Auggie passed away last night. I feel awful but I know we did everything we could’ve to help him. We fed him critical care and syringe fed him water multiple times each day. We gave him his medicine for 5 days. We were gone all day apple picking so I never got to say goodbye or notice anything was wrong and take him to the vet. We did syringe feed him twice before we left so I don’t understand what happened. He must’ve been suffering every day for more than a week so I know he’s in a better place. Since a few days ago he wanted me to pet him and relaxed when I did pet him. He normally licked my face and nudged my arm until I pet him. How he relaxed when I pet him:View attachment 50905
Just some pictures of him because I miss him so much View attachment 50906 View attachment 50907View attachment 50908View attachment 50911View attachment 50912

Sorry for your loss, you did your best for him 💕

Latest posts

Back