New Bunny Soon, Question About Diet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnaboris

Reaction score
Bringing this absolute joy home on Saturday but I have a concern maybe someone here can help me address: his current caregiver has him on timothy hay and baby pellets, but I know alfalfa is important at his age (he is 8 weeks). Would he be okay if I continue him on timothy hay as long as he's getting alfalfa pellets or should I work to transition him to alfalfa until he's 6 months?

Any advice is appreciated!

C275B060-8319-4C1B-87FF-A4B13F8DB11E.jpeg

The pellets have enough alfalfa so timothy for the hay is just fine. Mixing some alfalfa hay in with the timothy is also ok. It is not necessary (or advised) to switch to solely alfalfa hay. Alfalfa hay is decidedly more tasty to rabbits, so once they eat that, they sometimes will resist switching to a grass hay (like timothy) when the time comes.

So mixing the two hays is ok to do, but if he's already used to just timothy, probably it'd be best to leave well enough alone and let him have just the timothy for his hay.

The pellets have enough alfalfa so timothy for the hay is just fine. Mixing some alfalfa hay in with the timothy is also ok. It is not necessary (or advised) to switch to solely alfalfa hay. Alfalfa hay is decidedly more tasty to rabbits, so once they eat that, they sometimes will resist switching to a grass hay (like timothy) when the time comes.

So mixing the two hays is ok to do, but if he's already used to just timothy, probably it'd be best to leave well enough alone and let him have just the timothy for his hay.
Thank you kindly! This is my first bunny so I'm trying to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible.

I LOVE HIM. HE IS SO CUTE..... What is his name?

As a side note, fresh foods (veggies and fruits) shouldn't be given until 6 months. They can be given bites as youngsters, just not big amount of their diet. I believe that too much lettuce can mess with the intestines, so watch how he reacts to it when he starts eating veggies!

As a side note, fresh foods (veggies and fruits) shouldn't be given until 6 months. They can be given bites as youngsters, just not big amount of their diet. I believe that too much lettuce can mess with the intestines, so watch how he reacts to it when he starts eating veggies!
Actually greens (better than "veggies & fruits") can begin to be introduced as early as 12 weeks of age-- small amounts. Waiting too long could potentially make them resistant to try them. With gradual introductions, they could be up to eating a full portion of greens a few weeks after introductions begin.
Dark green lettuces are perfectly acceptable-- even in large quantities (once they've been properly and gradually introduced). Iceberg lettuce should be avoided.

Here's more info on greens, how to safely introduce them, and a starting list for which ones are safe for daily feeding (and which are safe for occasional feeding).
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Latest posts

Back