new bunny, severe ear mites!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrosler04

Reaction score
We just took in a rescue bunny a couple of days ago, havent' even named her yet!!

I got her on wednesday, she was fine, and fine on thursday. well on friday, I came home from college, and noticed that her ear had brown/grey crusty flakes, My vet was closed by this time, but I called her emergency pager #, and I also consulted with a close friend who is a vet tech who specializes in small animals. Neither of them have really dealt with this situation, but both gave me the same advice.

We cleaned her ears out very good with peroxide today, and cleaned out all of the crusty/flaky peices (which took over2 hours!).

We then gave her a few drops of ear mite medicine made for cats (per instruction of our vet)

We will also treat the rest of the rabbits with ivermectin as a preventative. as they have all been near each other!

Any ideas/help/advice will be greatly appreciated! we have never experienced or dealt with this before, and I am very stumped on what to do!!

Thanks!

Jess & the critters!

Sounds to me like you did the rightthing. I would also clean the litter boxes and cages withdiluted white vinger. Wash your hands after handling arabbit. Cuts down on transmitting the mites to other rabbits.

Poor bunny. I'm so glad she's withyou! It sounds like you've done everything right sofar. Do you know what medicine you used to treat therabbit? Was it a one-time medicine like otic (ear)Ivermectin, or the kind you have to use twice a day for twoweeks? The Ivermectin would probably be better.

Along with treating your other rabbits with Ivermectin, you can alsoprevent mites with Revolution- one of those spot-on-the-neck monthlytreatments you can get from the vet. I'm not sure what dosagerabbits need, maybe it's the kitten size?

There's more info on ear mites in our Rabbit Health References:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11954&forum_id=10

My vet checked with the company that makesRevolution before dispensing it to me. I also checked ontheir website as well. I think it depends on thesize of bun which one they use.

I am not sure of the name of the med, will haveto check it when I get home (I work overnight tonight, then go straightto college in the morning!)

The med was approved by the vet, and it is supposed to be given once every 2-3 days until cleared up!

I called the person who I got her from, just because I know one of hishad it, and he said that he just pours mineral oil in the ear to fix it?

I don't know if it would have helped this poor thing! Her entire earcanal was so full of crusty stuff that we had to use tweezers to pickit out! it was completely clogged & stuffed full! took usnearly 2 hours!

the poor girl was So sweet during all of this, she sat still &let us pick & poke, and scrub, and I know it hurt! she onlyflinched, and made a "whimper" type noise once, and I know she was inpain!!

My brother & Sister in law are considering adopting the 2 minirex, and this girl for thier 3 boys, they will be house bunnies, andspoilt rotten! :)

They currently have to live outside with me..due to me having 2 greatdanes in the house, I don't know how well the poor bunnies would dowith those "horses" running around! :D

Ivermectin paste rubbed into the ears is lessmessy than oils and just as effective. It should also begiven orally (or injected) in severe cases of ear mites.

Pam

Latest posts

Back