New bunny - questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneMaple

Reaction score
Five months after getting my first bunny, Tokki, I've decided I'm ready to get him a friend. The person I'm buying the new bunny from is getting him neutered sometime this week, so I can pick him up on the weekend.
Tokki, my first bunny, is a neutered 7 month old male. The new bunny will be a (newly) neutered 5 month old male, so I understand there might be some hormonal competition until the new bunny fully recovers from the neuter and the hormones dissipate.

I have no intention of keeping them in the same cage - however, I'm planning on keeping the new bunny's cage in the same room I keep Tokki's cage, my bedroom. I just want them to get along during playtime (I'll let them run around whenever I am home, for at least 8 hours a day).

For the first few days, should I keep the new bunny locked in its cage in my bedroom until he gets familiar with the surroundings/Tokki's presence/my presence? Or would it be wise to keep him in an entirely different room for now?
What can I do to help them get along? How does bonding two male rabbits work? I've never done this before. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. :)

I'll keep an eye on your thread as I also want to bond two males one is 5 months and his father unknown age as was rescued. So have no experience yet bonding males but I think that after neutering surgery your new male would need some time to heal and maybe spending a week in his own space would be better for him? If you don't have an extra room for him you can just put them into separate corners and put some kind of screen like cardboard sheet so they can't see each other. But wait you'll get some more advanced advice for sure. :)

Latest posts

Back