New Bunny Pen Setup Advice Needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I just posted in another thread about my new baby bunnies (Brownie age 9 weeks and BunBun age 8 weeks)… I’d like to get some feedback on my set up. Right now I have them in our living room in a pen that is 9’x6’ - there is a hutch inside the pen, but the hutch door is never closed. Inside the hutch is a “litter box” filled with paper “bedding” and some hay - they hang out in there a lot. Outside of the hutch is a bowl of food pellets and water, and another litter box with hay feeder (that litter box has mesh over it, they don’t “hang out” there unless they’re eating hay. In the far corner of the pen is yet another “litter box” with hay - I out that there because that was the corner with the most poop, and they indeed use it to go to the bathroom (although they go everywhere else too - although they don’t go very much in the box where they tend to sleep)… During the day they’re outside a lot on our patio (which is enclosed with a childproof pool fence. On the patio I also have a bowl of food, water and one box with hay and bedding. The seem to like it outside where they have even more room to run around and hop high in the air.
Some questions:
1. Am I giving them too much room for baby bunnies? They seem quite happy, but I’ve read for litter training purposes to restrict space. They don’t seem nearly old enough to litter train, so I don’t see a point in restricting space now, but thought I’d ask.
2. Should I add more food and water bowls?
3. Anything to add or take away?
4. They seem happy in the large outdoor space where they spend a lot of time during the day. We’re in Southern California, so we spend more time outside than in, but that area is quite a bit bigger than their pen area (again not sure if there is a thing as “too much space” for baby bunnies.
5. As a flooring in their pen I’m using two large washable puppy pee pads as the bunnies pee and poop all over the floor. Outside, there is one litter box, but otherwise they just go on the bricks which I can hose off. Any pre-litter trained advice on how to manage the droppings and urine welcome :)

Pics Attached
9B680789-582B-40BD-865E-5FF2A1890656.jpegB90B36EF-5CC9-4B8F-AFBD-B57CD59D33DE.jpeg

It looks all good to me!
Since you have such a large space though, especially in their pen, it'd be nice to add more toys and enrichment things like chew toys, tunnels, etc :)

I don't really think it's too much space to litter train, it will be harder though soon enough hormones will most likely start to kick in and litter training won't be easy. The inside pen that you have is good enough for litter training, maybe restrict them to there until they are litter trained in that area and slowly let them into a larger area again :) Because they are young and unfixed, it may be hard for them to be litter trained until post neuter.

Here's some good links for litter training if you need them :)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Latest posts

Back