New bunny owner, spaying question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlinT00

Reaction score
Hi, earlier today I just got my bunny, Bella, spayed. Its been a couple of hours, shes had a few sips of water, doesn't want any food, and just seems lethargic- which I was expecting. But I thought that within a few hours that she would have pooped or peed, so I'm getting a little worried that this isn't normal? I was just wondering if I should be worried or if its normal for a bunny not to have any bowel movements after surgery for a few hours. Thanks.

After 12 hours of not eating, drinking, or no poos or pees then you need to call the vet. Try giving her favorite treat. If she refuses that still, you may have to put some pellets in the blender and make them to a fine grind and mix them with water and syringe feed. Did the vet give you pain meds?

After 12 hours of not eating, drinking, or no poos or pees then you need to call the vet. Try giving her favorite treat. If she refuses that still, you may have to put some pellets in the blender and make them to a fine grind and mix them with water and syringe feed. Did the vet give you pain meds?
Yeah, he gave me some medication to start tomorrow. She has peed since this post, and been drinking more water. But its almost the 12 hour mark, and still no eating or pooping. I'm giving her until tomorrow morning, and if nothing's changed, I plan on calling the vet to see what he says.

This is normal. Syringe-feed as necessary. Nausea from anesthesia lasts around 24h and dramatically reduces appetite. Just get what food you can in her during the first 24h, even if it means giving extra treats/fruit, etc. It's like how a kid who just got their tonsils out might get unlimited icecream; the day after spay surgery, let her pig out on whatever she'll eat (and that advice comes straight from my vet). She should get back into her hay first, then leafy green veggies, then pellets last. If she isn't at least eating hay on her own by 24-36h post surgery, give your vet a call.

So its officially been 24 hours, Bella still refuses to eat. She has managed to have one piece of hay, and has two poops. I called my vet, and he has told me the same information that you have provided and to call him in a few hours and see if there are any changes. I've tried syringe feeding and she fought me on it, I've tried different fruits and vegetables but she still refusea. I have noticed that the only thing that she is actually eating is her litter, and I'm not really sure if I should just let her eat it since she hasn't been eating or if I should just keep trying with the syringe.

Took one of our females about 3-4 days until she began eating like her normal habits. Imbrium has good advice! Offer wet leafy greens, her fave treats, and try oral syringes of water (carefully, slowly administer at the side of her mouth thru teeth opening) and Critical Care supplement to encourage appetite. Did your girl take the syringes of meloxicam/metacam? Are you able to see the incision line from her OVH surgery?

Word of caution: our gal who did not eat or regain normal appetite (above) was spayed at a DVM I would never return to. Hope you have a rabbit-savvy DVM.

Try giving her wet green veggies..kale especially..if it’s wet it’ll replace the water she’s not drinking...they are right about grinding the pellets if absolutely necessary...but....also....I’d ask the vet..if you you think it’s this bad, about an IV you can do at home..there are videos on utube to teach you..it’s not hard..I just had kits with GI Stasis.....it’s an option

Try giving her wet green veggies..kale especially..if it’s wet it’ll replace the water she’s not drinking...they are right about grinding the pellets if absolutely necessary...but....also....I’d ask the vet..if you you think it’s this bad, about an IV you can do at home..there are videos on utube to teach you..it’s not hard..I just had kits with GI Stasis.....it’s an option
Didn’t mean IV...meant SuB Q fluids..it’s Nader the skin...makes like a little half a ball..sorry..brain moving faster than it shouldn’t?

My mini was done 2 weeks ago it took about 24 hours for her to eat a reasonable amount

but I was given pain meds to start the next and some drops of what I think were an enzyme to help get things moving and some protein and fibre orange stuff in a syringe, Which she hated!

But she was not allowed to leave the vets until she ate something they were starting to get a little worried until I took her some kale in perhaps try kale...

And I will be going through it all again tomorrow when her beau gets his turn at the vets I’ll cross my fingers for both rabbits .

Yes..the kale.Push wet kale...also..baby carrot food is good..sugar free apple or grape juice in the syringe? They seem to like that best..I don’t mean to sound bossy, but, I’ve though a lot with them, and a lot of vets don’t handle rabbits a lot..at least not my vet..my vet is awful! Good luck and let me know!

Yes..the kale.Push wet kale...also..baby carrot food is good..sugar free apple or grape juice in the syringe? They seem to like that best..I don’t mean to sound bossy, but, I’ve though a lot with them, and a lot of vets don’t handle rabbits a lot..at least not my vet..my vet is awful! Good luck and let me know!
Oh, ask if she needs B complex? I like that

My bun got spayed on Friday and the only thing she ate for 12-24 hours was cilantro and romaine lettuce. (Aside from some nibbles of hay, but not nearly enough.) I made sure the veggies were good and wet so she was getting at least some water. As of today, she is back to her old crazy self. I hope your bun makes a quick recovery!

So I thought I'd give a little update, it's been three days since surgery and I'm very happy to say that Bella is eating. I ended up going to the vet and receiving critical care and right when I started feeding her it at home- she decided to eat hay instead. Overall, she seems to be eating like she was before, and drinking she seemed to be forgetting to do sometimes so I have to offer her water every once in a while yesterday. Aside from that though, my lil baby seems to be feeling much better, thank you everyone for the great advice!

That’s so just like when you spend the the money to take your kid to the dr and then they seem fine ...but, at least..now you know the criteria for the critical care stuff and you can do it yourself if ever needed..or could help a friend..but most importantly she’s doing better! Yeah!

Latest posts

Back