Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has advice for litter training my rabbits. I have two babies in a dog crate, they are 2 months old right now! I got them 3 days ago and I dont really see any improvement in their litter training, if anything they have even gone backwards in terms of pooping. They do most of the peeing in their box but sometimes they pee outside of it but rarely, a lot more the first day after I left to sleep. My biggest issue is that they seem to poop almost every time as SOON as they leave the litter box. Like mid jump or second jump after they leave. And not all the poops are sticky so the problem isnt diet. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. These poops probably make up half of the ones they make outside the litter box. The rest are a lot but its the 3rd day so thats to be expected. They also dont seem to have a preferred spot, they just poop all over the cage.

From my experience, the really young baby rabbits often don't choose one place to use as a litterbox, not until they reach puberty at about 3-4 months. Mine are all in wire cages so it doesn't bother me, but when I have decided to litterbox train some in the past I wouldn't even start working on it until they were a little bit older.

Mine are in cages too but they get so so happy when I let them out to run and explore! So I just want to be able to allow them out more! But i cant risk it if there is any big possibility that they may pee on the hardwood floor or the carpet, my mom would KILL ME! So I guess i'll have to wait a few months, right now im letting them out on blankets, but they seem to enjoy peeing on soft things.

You can start training them and place all the droppings in the litter box and clean up after them.

But when they hit puberty they often regress and will be a hard time making them litter trained again. Until they calmed down or get spayed/neutered.

I taught my kit early that he had to go into the litter box, after a week he knew where to go. A couple of accident happens on soft blankets, but when I saw him lift up the tail, which often indicates he’s going to pee. I just picked him up and placed him in the litter box and after he got a treat.

So after puberty he still ran to the litter box doing what he had been taught but he stilled kept on marking the soft beds and couches until being neutered.

Can say when puberty hits and the bunny its free roaming, you will have a lot of cleaning to do everyday.

You can start training them and place all the droppings in the litter box and clean up after them.

But when they hit puberty they often regress and will be a hard time making them litter trained again. Until they calmed down or get spayed/neutered.

I taught my kit early that he had to go into the litter box, after a week he knew where to go. A couple of accident happens on soft blankets, but when I saw him lift up the tail, which often indicates he’s going to pee. I just picked him up and placed him in the litter box and after he got a treat.

So after puberty he still ran to the litter box doing what he had been taught but he stilled kept on marking the soft beds and couches until being neutered.

Can say when puberty hits and the bunny its free roaming, you will have a lot of cleaning to do everyday.

Thank you, so what percentage would u say is trained for your bunny? Is it 100% in the box or are there a lot of accidents? Mine are at about 80% in the box and 20% outside, but since its two of them 20% is easily 20-30 poops and the odd pee

Thank you, so what percentage would u say is trained for your bunny? Is it 100% in the box or are there a lot of accidents? Mine are at about 80% in the box and 20% outside, but since its two of them 20% is easily 20-30 poops and the odd pee

100% in the box, sometimes it can be little droppings that come out when they jump out from the box. But my rabbits do all their things in the box.

So they will run to litter box directly when they have to go.

When they are kits it’s normal with droppings and pee outside the box, you will only have to clean up after them.

It’s important to clean up after them, so they don’t get a habit to go somewhere else.

For my rabbits when puberty hit, they still went to the litter box 60% and the rest was spread out in the house. But, in the cage they would always go to the litter box. So the cage was 100% during puberty for my rabbits.

It took me two weeks to train Bunster to go pee in the litter box consistently. Patience and keep at it :)

They were doing okay but suddenly out of nowhere they got pretty bad at it, specially my white one. And his poop smells horrible all of the sudden. Does anyone know what I can do? Its still at least 2 months until I can get them altered, bc veta here prefer 5 months and up

Latest posts

Back