New Bunny Owner.. HELPPPP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Sconce

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I got my first ever bunny a few weeks ago and I absolutely love him! I have quite a few questions though so help would be highly appreciated not only from me but from Toby as well.
Toby is a 4 month old lion head rabbit. He’s quirky as hell and loves to run around and such. But I’m questioning the eating habits and if he could be happier. How much should I give him in pellets every day? Also what about the additional stuff like hay, veggies and fruits?

At 4 months, you may begin to see some behavioral changes from hormones. Some rabbits barely show any changes, while others show huge changes. If he is one to show huge changes (aggression, spraying urine about) OR if you intend to get a bondmate in the future, then you will want to consider having him neutered.

The proper diet for a rabbit changes at about 6-7 months of age. Right now he should be on a juvenile diet and then be getting ready to transition (in a couple months) to an adult diet. Rather than type it all out here, I'll link you to this page on my site that explains it all in better detail.

Since yours is at 4 months already, you'll want to be checking the type of pellets he's getting and you could even begin to cut back on the amount of pellets he gets (if he has been getting free fed).

Hay should be the bulk of his diet. I would be looking at just grass hays (not alfalfa) since he's already 4 months of age. Don't want to risk him getting picky by feeding him the alfalfa which is often favored but shouldn't be fed at all after 6-7 months of age. Hay should always make up the bulk of his diet.

I give my ten month old bunny unlimited Timothy hay, 1/4 cup of pellets, 1/2 cup of veggies, and unlimited water per day.

Latest posts

Back