New bunny, not eating or pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lia

Reaction score
Hello,

I adopted a two year old bunny from my someone yesterday. My problem is this bunny has not pooped and has not eaten much hay, greens, or pellets. Here is some info: The previous family is not bunny savy, and have other problems preventing them from being in the position to change. Their feeding plan for this bun was once a day hay feeding where it was gone the following midday, and pellets with artificial fruit, and a water bottle jug. The bunny did not get let out of his cage. He was in a very loud environment, and would lunge and grunt when they shoved their hands in the cage.

Bringing the bunny home i layed on the floor and he got on my back, booped me a bunch of times, licked me a lot, did the cutest smallest binky and did a bunny loaf. He seems happy or at least slowly getting used to things. However he isn't eating.

Is it just because he is new here?
What should i do?

It sounds like he is probably pretty stressed from his past and the move. You will definitely not want to change his diet for the next few days and then slowly wean him onto a better pellet choice. Of course, offer unlimited hay and water and try to leave him alone so he can get used to the new environment. The binkying and cheerful behavior is a really good sign, so I wouldn't be too worried about GI stasis right now, but I'd find a rabbit savvy vet in the area to call and be ready to make an appointment if he doesn't poop by tomorrow morning.
@Blue eyes probably will have the best advice

Hello,

I adopted a two year old bunny from my someone yesterday. My problem is this bunny has not pooped and has not eaten much hay, greens, or pellets. Here is some info: The previous family is not bunny savy, and have other problems preventing them from being in the position to change. Their feeding plan for this bun was once a day hay feeding where it was gone the following midday, and pellets with artificial fruit, and a water bottle jug. The bunny did not get let out of his cage. He was in a very loud environment, and would lunge and grunt when they shoved their hands in the cage.

Bringing the bunny home i layed on the floor and he got on my back, booped me a bunch of times, licked me a lot, did the cutest smallest binky and did a bunny loaf. He seems happy or at least slowly getting used to things. However he isn't eating.

Is it just because he is new here?
What should i do?
Hi, what food you offered to him? Even if you think his pellets were wrong type you can't just give him new pellets and expect him to eat them, you will need to mix old pellets with new pellets for a week or two, gradually increasing new and decreasing old, so first day 1/4 new and 3/4 old, then after a few days 1/2 old and 1/2 new, then after a few days 3/4 new and 1/4 old and so on. Try to feed him same as he was fed before and make small changes towards healthier diet.

Hay and water unlimited of course.

How is he doing now? You mentioned he hasn't eaten much... but he has been eating? Has he gone potty yet?

He will certainly be stressed just from having to adjust to a new environment with new odors and new sounds. Limit his space so as not to overwhelm him with too much stimuli. If his cage is small, I'd at least use an ex-pen to limit his space. The smaller space will help him to adjust and get comfortable more quickly.

As others have stated, no diet changes right away- other than offering unlimited hay. Let him get settled first.

One thing you can do to encourage more hay eating is to refresh it a couple times per day (whether or not he's finished what he had been given earlier).

Latest posts

Back