New Bunny Mum Needing Guidance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reh

Reaction score
Hi! I’m new to this forum and super new to being a bunny mum!

Alfie is a mini lop x Netherland dwarf and I got him at just under eight weeks old. Naturally in the beginning Alfie was nervous and not wanting to be around me, as time went on he’s definitely friendlier and knows I am his mum and because more affectionate. He is pretty much litter trained at this point with no accidents having occurred in two or three weeks now.

He is just about to hit three months old and all of a sudden over the last few days I have noticed a change in his behaviour. He’s not as affectionate with me (at least I feel this way) and he’s started to scratch at my clothes what feels aggressively but might be playful? He has also been consistently nipping at my fingers while scratching my chest (he put himself there so I did not force him). Another thing I have noticed over the last few days is that he has been pulling at his litter tray pads which he never did and essentially removed them from the litter tray.

I don’t know if I am over thinking it or if it’s an age thing but I just wanted to know what tell tale signs of a cranky rabbit is and whether Alfie is fitting the criteria.

Today for example, he was kinda grunting or honking while scratching at my shirt but I couldn’t tell whether he wanted to play or he was upset.

Only changes I can really pin point was that over the weekend we had guests over and loud music was playing and I noticed that he was hiding in a corner, however in saying that I was consistently checking on him to show him I was there and he was safe.

Sounds like the hormones are starting to show! Male buns can be neutered around six months, so it may be time to ask the vet about planning one! All that behavior seems like little boy hormones, and it WILL GET WORSE, BELIEVE ME. 😂 😂

You will want to get him neutered for both of your sakes. I remember when Lawrence was hormonal, it was almost heart-breaking to watch; his hormones wouldn't give him any peace!

Sounds like the hormones are starting to show! Male buns can be neutered around six months, so it may be time to ask the vet about planning one! All that behavior seems like little boy hormones, and it WILL GET WORSE, BELIEVE ME. 😂 😂

You will want to get him neutered for both of your sakes. I remember when Lawrence was hormonal, it was almost heart-breaking to watch; his hormones wouldn't give him any peace!

So soon?! I wanted him to be my little toddler for just a little while longer! I intend on neutering as soon as I am able to! I had spoken to some people that said his behaviour seems more like what a female rabbit does as well, so I started questioning Alfie’s sex also!

Would you consider the scratching, nipping and slight honking as playful or more on the aggressive side?

Here are some pics of the little gem:754BC078-7ADA-4647-93E8-46E7DC091945.jpeg24021E49-6F3E-467E-84DE-93E84B5CC722.jpeg219C8667-F2D7-4CC0-93D0-E6ED398539D1.jpeg

Oh goodness, he's an adorable little man!! 😍 😍

I'm no expert, but those are the behaviors Lawrence did when his hormones were starting. Especially the honking. But then again, we thought Lawrence was Florence until his first vet visit! 😂😂

To directly answer your question, though, I consider those behaviors as more playful if I had to choose. Digging, nipping and honking are all, generally, "pay attention to me and love me!" behaviors. I'd take them as a sign your little boy loves you! ☺☺ My boy Lucas still digs at my feet for attention! It's just his way of saying hi!

Oh goodness, he's an adorable little man!! 😍 😍

I'm no expert, but those are the behaviors Lawrence did when his hormones were starting. Especially the honking. But then again, we thought Lawrence was Florence until his first vet visit! 😂😂

To directly answer your question, though, I consider those behaviors as more playful if I had to choose. Digging, nipping and honking are all, generally, "pay attention to me and love me!" behaviors. I'd take them as a sign your little boy loves you! ☺☺ My boy Lucas still digs at my feet for attention! It's just his way of saying hi!

HAHAHAHAHA Lawrence was Florence, I love it 😂😂 Okay well that’s been reassuring, the nipping doesn’t feel aggressive but the scratching on my shirt feels like he wants to rip into me like a bear 😂😂 I suppose if he placed himself there he’s not feeling threatened or anything! Must be hormones kicking in! Didn’t think it hit on the three month mark on the dot but buns will be buns!

Let’s see how the next few days-week go! Thanks for your help!

Absolutely! Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have them... Lawrence became mine by accident, so I had to learn everything as I went. I wish I had found this forum and its members when I was pulling my hair out trying to do right by a little white bunny!

It can be common for rabbits to be mis-sexed. That being said, the behaviors you're describing can occur in both males and females. The certain sign that you have a male is seeing the testicles (though they can actually hide them by sucking them in!). If you see those, you have a male. If you don't, it could go either way unless you are familiar with checking there yourself.

And yes, there is a big difference between an aggressive bit vs. a nip. If a rabbit wants to bite you, you'll know-- it will hurt and will definitely break skin and make you bleed. These are furniture-destroying pets after all, haha. Communication nips are much more common, and while the behavior may tone down after a spay/neuter, there can sometimes be a learning curve (similar to puppies) of them figuring out what is the appropriate degree of "nip" to do in order to communicate with bare human skin.

He’s super adorable!! ❤️
Definitely hormones… my Netherland, Echo, did this closer to 6 months and then started spraying everything until I got him neutered in December. About 6 weeks after getting him neutered, he never sprayed again and (though still a little demon) much much sweeter than before 😂

Welcome! I love that bun! And yes, hormones! Mine is a female, but all the same... Plus humping all the stuffed animals she could get to. Over and over again. After the Speuter (gender neutral as we don't know for sure) things will calm waay down

Does sound like hormones and sexual frustration is starting to set in. It happens pretty quick for the bucks, and some can get pretty randy almost all of the time. The scratching, nipping, and honking is most likely his attempts to 'court' and figure out how to mount you. Sorry to put it that way, but that's pretty much what he's trying to figure out how to do. Those little bucks are just flooded with an excess of bunny hormones. There's a reason for the saying about 'breeding like rabbits'.

I would call around to the different rabbit vets in your area. Some will do it sooner than 6 months. Basically, as soon at the testicles have dropped a buck can be neutered. So your boy may be ready now, or pretty soon from the sound of it. You have a clinic that specializes in rabbits there in Melbourne, maybe they can do a neuter sooner than 6 mo. Then if you can get it done right away, you can still enjoy your little toddler bun for a bit longer. Though it does take a few weeks for the hormones to fade out.

http://www.melbournerabbitclinic.com/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It can be common for rabbits to be mis-sexed. That being said, the behaviors you're describing can occur in both males and females. The certain sign that you have a male is seeing the testicles (though they can actually hide them by sucking them in!). If you see those, you have a male. If you don't, it could go either way unless you are familiar with checking there yourself.

And yes, there is a big difference between an aggressive bit vs. a nip. If a rabbit wants to bite you, you'll know-- it will hurt and will definitely break skin and make you bleed. These are furniture-destroying pets after all, haha. Communication nips are much more common, and while the behavior may tone down after a spay/neuter, there can sometimes be a learning curve (similar to puppies) of them figuring out what is the appropriate degree of "nip" to do in order to communicate with bare human skin.

Because he is so small, its honestly the hardest thing to look for (not to mention he hates it when I try)

Yeah, I must say theyre definitely not hard bites he just seems grumpy because of the intense digging/scratching that happens right before he goes in to nip my fingers

Welcome! I love that bun! And yes, hormones! Mine is a female, but all the same... Plus humping all the stuffed animals she could get to. Over and over again. After the Speuter (gender neutral as we don't know for sure) things will calm waay down

He's been really good these last two days now but I suspect he will throw a few tantrums now that I am back at work (I was working from home since I got him) due to the routine change.

He doesn't seem annoyed with me and is still playful, so I think I am just going to put it down to playful behaviour!

Very cute bun! Sounds like he’s being playful.

My Ted nips, scratches and licks my arm sometimes when he’s especially happy.

This is super reassuring! No doubt hormones will be kicking in nonetheless, but as long as he is a happy bun!

---

I have booked in for Alfie's first vet visit so no doubt we will have gender confirmation soon!

Thank you everyone for your input - has been super comforting!

Latest posts

Back