New bunny mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m a new bunny mom and I need advice, I searched as much as I could before getting her, they said that she’s two months old but she is ver small so I’m not sure, but as soon as we got home I took her out of the carrier and she started crawling/walking instead of hopping, is it because she’s scared of the ne environment or could sh be injured ?
her ears are a little bit cold too and she’s not eating, I gave her alfalfa hay.
her mouth is a little bit dirty , should I do anything about it?
and every few minutes I hear a teeth click , how do I know if she’s in pain or not and how can I get her to eat?
image.jpg

Best would be to feed her what she's used to. Keep her in a rather small space for now, like a cage that can later become her home base.
Being transported somewhere else is something pretty big for a rabbit, she'll need time to adjust. That cautious gait - she's in a completly unfamiliar envirnment, maybe on flooring she isn't used to. Imho that sounds like she's pretty much stressed out.
I would say, give her rest, quite and privacy for now, establish a daily routine and let her settle in.

She looks very young, but it's hard to tell from a photo. How long have had her? Walking instead of hopping could be a sign of injury, however, a lot of rabbits walk when figuring out a new environment, so it could just be that she's nervous. Since she's new to you and young, you should try to find a rabbit-savvy vet to do a check-up and make sure she is healthy. What was she being fed where you got her from? It's important to keep her diet as consistent as possible to the original diet in the first few weeks you have a rabbit. Your first course of business should be to find a vet who can see what's happening and help you develop a plan.

Best would be to feed her what she's used to. Keep her in a rather small space for now, like a cage that can later become her home base.
Being transported somewhere else is something pretty big for a rabbit, she'll need time to adjust. That cautious gait - she's in a completly unfamiliar envirnment, maybe on flooring she isn't used to. Imho that sounds like she's pretty much stressed out.
I would say, give her rest, quite and privacy for now, establish a daily routine and let her settle in.
I put her in a cage ,she drank water and ate a few pellets of the ones they used to feed her she also ate cecotropes , I gave her a heating pad . Are cold ears a sign of stress or is she sick ? It’s not cold here at all.
image.jpg

She looks very young, but it's hard to tell from a photo. How long have had her? Walking instead of hopping could be a sign of injury, however, a lot of rabbits walk when figuring out a new environment, so it could just be that she's nervous. Since she's new to you and young, you should try to find a rabbit-savvy vet to do a check-up and make sure she is healthy. What was she being fed where you got her from? It's important to keep her diet as consistent as possible to the original diet in the first few weeks you have a rabbit. Your first course of business should be to find a vet who can see what's happening and help you develop a plan.
I had her for two hours now , they used to feed her pellets but I don’t know what is the brand or wha it’s made of, I asked them to give me a small bag of it so I can feed here for a few days/weeks until she gets used to the alfalfa hay.

If you've only had her for two hours just let her be. The fact that she has even nibbled anything in her first two hours at her new home is great! She just needs to get acclimated. I'd leave her face alone and let her clean it herself if she wants to and not had the stress of grooming to what is already a very stressful day for her.

Aside from refreshing water, hay & pellets, she should be left completely undisturbed for 48 hours.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html
We disturbed her till she got used to us😂😂
She’s a lot better now, she left the pellets and went for the alfalfa, she also peed and pooped and groomed herself
She looks relaxed
But she’s either sleeping or eating, not moving much, so we’re still not 100% sure if her legs are okay or not

We disturbed her till she got used to us😂😂

A caution for the OP (Original Poster): This member may have been lucky with their rabbit, but the recommendation still stands that a rabbit should be left undisturbed for the first 48 hours. It is not uncommon for rabbits that are brought to a new home to literally die within days from shock and fright brought on by the extreme stress of being pestered. They can be pestered, quite literally, to death. :oops:

A caution for the OP (Original Poster): This member may have been lucky with their rabbit, but the recommendation still stands that a rabbit should be left undisturbed for the first 48 hours. It is not uncommon for rabbits that are brought to a new home to literally die within days from shock and fright brought on by the extreme stress of being pestered. They can be pestered, quite literally, to death. :oops:
I actually have left haru the first few days because I was scared of her 😂😂
But my cousins rabbit started jumping around and doing binkies as soon as they got her so I didn’t know what to expect from fuyu.. when do we know that she’s okay and comfortable with her new home?

How's that new gorgeous baby this morning?
Thanks for asking! It’s better I guess, I heard her eating some pellets and alfalfa hay at night ,but she isn’t drinking water unless I bring the bottle to her? I offer her a bottle and a bowl of water , her face and feet are dirty now but i saw her grooming herself two hours ago, she popped but didn’t peed since 3 hours, also I left the cage door open all day but she didn’t came out yet, I am giving her some privacy and time to adapt I don’t want to stress her but I’m just asking if it’s normal?

I just found this in her cage! The round one is the poop she is popping since yesterday but I’m not sure what is the tall thing next to it.
image.jpg

You've got a little stressed rabbit there, that didn't eat as much as normal for some time - odd shaped poops can happen. As long as she's eating and pooping it should be quite ok. Keep an eye on that.

They drink more easily from a bowl than from a bottle, keep offering both, she will drink wenn thursty. Actually, I rather rarely see my rabbits drink, almost as if that is one of those things they don't like to do when they feel watched.

And now, sit back and have a nice cup of tea, glass of wine or bottle of beer - whatever is your schtick - and relax. If someone is anxious around them rabbits can pick up that mood ;)

You've got a little stressed rabbit there, that didn't eat as much as normal for some time - odd shaped poops can happen. As long as she's eating and pooping it should be quite ok. Keep an eye on that.

They drink more easily from a bowl than from a bottle, keep offering both, she will drink wenn thursty. Actually, I rather rarely see my rabbits drink, almost as if that is one of those things they don't like to do when they feel watched.

And now, sit back and have a nice cup of tea, glass of wine or bottle of beer - whatever is your schtick - and relax. If someone is anxious around them rabbits can pick up that mood ;)
About that.. we got the bottle just in case, because when I got haru I didn’t buy one and she didn’t know how to drink from the bowl and was scared to put her face close to it, so she didn’t drink until I got her a bottle the next day, and my cousins rabbit didn’t know how to use it either and was jumping into it

Hi everyone, today is the 4th day for my bunny in her new home, she is eating hay, pellets and cecotrops . Also popping and peeing, but her face is dirtier then the first day,it was hard when I touched it, and now her hands and feet are dirty too.
i got scared when I saw her hands now, there is a pink spot and it looks like skin.
What should I do?079F1B7C-6CBF-4630-A173-88C971579FA1.jpeg16390B23-6C63-463D-AAD8-BC8F4E2F9D41.jpeg

Latest posts

Back