New bunny mom with questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
Hi. I just "inherited" what I believe is a Himalayan bunny on Friday. I don't know much about him but have seen him on and off the majority of his life.

I have read up on basic care for Bunnies but I have more questions.

I have a 29 in wide by 18 inch deep by 16 inch high cage for "Bay Bay" being small this I feel is ok for now. I am lining the bottom with plain white paper, for two reasons, monitoring things with my less than perfect vision and also easier to clean sections than the hole cage between good cleanings.

I have Timothy hay from Wal-Mart. And a large bag of pellets. Question....is it normal for Bunnies to prefer pellets over hay? He'll eat both but the hay comes last.

What portions of hay and pellets should I be feeding? Should veggies AND a type of fruit (strawberry, blackberry, melon) be fed daily? I have given him romaine lettuce and a bit of honey dew melon the past couple of days. He ate a SMALL bit of pinapple today and LOVED it but I am not giving that often.

What type of toys can I introduce to him to try and get him to play? I gave him two toilet paper tubes but he'd rather be a brat and tip his food bowl and push his corner litter box around. He actually sleeps in the litter box and potties in the cage (at least poop) lol.

He is very docile and we'll mannered when it comes to me handling him.

I am kind of stuck on being able to let him out of his cage though for exercise as 1 I haven't begun to rabbit proof or know if I could fully. I have little room, and I'm actually not even supposed to have him where I live.

Is there anything else I should know that I may have forgotten?

Does anyone know of a good place to find a list of good foods for Bunnies?

Thanks in advance

Kinai and Bay Bay

First off, welcome to the forum, fellow bunny lover!
The cage sounds good for a home, but he does need atleast three hours of excersise a day, so if you are unable to bunny-proof your room, it may be a good idea to build or buy a makeshift excersise pen in your garden, if you have one. Just make sure if you do let him roam around to watch him. You dont have to keep an eye on him every second of the day, but just to make sure he's out of harms way.
Timothy hay is the best kind of hay for rabbits, but I can reccomend any other grass hay, too. Alfalfa and Lucerne hay should only be given to young rabbits or rabbits that need to put on weight. My rabbits much prefer to eat pellets than hay, too, but try to give more hay than pellets. Hay should make up over 70% of your rabbit's diet, so try not to go overboard with the pellets.
Veggies are good for your bunny, too and it is recommended that rabbits get a little bit of atleast three kinds of veggies daily. Fruit, such as banana, apple and pear, should only be given as a treat, as they are full of sugar and too much fruit can cause diheria, obesety ect. so a little bit a day is fine. Also, fresh fruits are a lot better for your rabbit than most store bought treats, but my bunnies like them, too.
To make your toys a bit more exciting, try shredding the ends of your toilet roll tubes with scissors or adding treats. Rabbits like to chew, rip and shread, so here are a few rabbit toy ideas that wont cost much.
Cardboard boxes filled with hay, straw or old newspaper with holes for doors and windows
Pet safe string hung with veggies and leaves (make sure they're safe)
Chew toys from a pet store
Phonebooks
Untreated, untoxic tree branches, such as apple. MAKE SURE THE BRANCHES YOU GIVE TO YOUR GRABBIT ARE SAFE!
Paper bags filled with hay.
Ofcoarse, there are many ideas all over the internet, but those are just a few. Also, a tip with litter training, try putting a little bit of your rabbits poop in the litterbox so he smells it and learns to do his business in the box. If that doesnt work, moving the tray to the spot which he often uses may work, too. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Let's start with the feeding. Hay is more important than the pellets. 80% or more of the diet should be hay. Pellets should be the plain kind (no colorful bits) and it should be a measured amount only. A 5-7 lb rabbit should be offered no more than 1/4 cup of pellets daily. It is quite common for rabbits to prefer pellets over hay. That is why the pellets should be limited.

For a list of good pellets, check here. The greens (think more in terms of greens -- herbs, dark lettuces -- rather than 'veggies') should be introduced gradually. Each new type should be introduced by itself so that you can check bunny's tolerance.

Fruits are unnecessary. They can be offered in small amounts as a treat, however. The general guide is no more than 1 tbsp worth of fruit per day.

You can find bowls that twist onto a clamp that attaches to the cage. These can't be tipped. They can also be used for water.

I'd suggest replacing the corner litter box with a larger rectangular box. The larger the box, the more likely bunny will use it for what it should be used for. It isn't unusual for bunnies to lie in their litter box. If the litter is topped with hay, bunny is more likely to hop in there, munch on hay and use the box to potty.

Some rabbits will play with 'toys' while others ignore them. However, the topic of toys ties into the topic of bunny proofing. If you haven't been able to bunny proof yet, then an exercise pen can be quite handy. You can make a semi-circle with an x -pen that goes around the current cage. That provides more space for bunny in an area that is still "safe." Some items you can use for entertainment are a cardboard box with windows and doors cut out. Seagrass mats, wicker balls, and even open paper bags can all provide chewing pleasure.

boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg

Thank you both for the info. I just found a vet for him also. I live in a efficiency apartment (1 main room with small kitchen and bathroom) I may clean the kitchen floor and block it off and let him in there. I CAN NOT bring him outside to play where I live. I am not supposed to have him where I live and can get in big trouble if caught. There are cameras here also.

I found the list of rabbit safe foods on the forum and I am going to provide as much good food as I can if he can tolerate it. Can they eat the dandelion flowers also or just the leaves?

I have tried putting his poop in the box and he still lays in it. I will get a larger box when I can.

I was going to ask more but my dog won't leave me alone and I have to go check on my mom's

Thank you again

I CAN NOT bring him outside to play where I live.

Thank you again

It isn't necessary to ever bring him outside anyway. Indoor rabbits get their exercise indoors. It is safer indoors and is familiar to them -- which means they are more comfortable and like to binky!

Outdoor excursions on occasion are ok but that is more for exploring than actual exercising. Plus there are so many precautions that would need to be taken before letting a bunny outside -- not the least of which is knowing what/if any fertilizers, weed killers or pesticides are in the grass.

If you ever do let him outside (in the future) in a pen, then you absolutely must be out there with him every single moment. Just one minute away could allow for a bird of prey to swoop down. (heard it happen!)

I have heard the term binky used on the forums here and am curious what that means? I clipped his nails a bit ago and his nails were LONG so I can imagine they feel better. A couple of toes on about 3 feet are turned but don't seem to bother him.

I took him into my kitchen today and he was overwhelmed and climbed back on me. I put him down again and moved away a tiny bit and got some lettuce and when he was sniffing around in the opposite direction of me I tried giving him some lettuce but my majorly jealous dog got it since the bunny didn't want it.

I have a question regarding wood for possible play structures. Are there woods that are totally off limits? I have pine, oak, and maple trees around me that I can make things from or get branches from. Oak mostly. Not sure what species though.

I knit and crochet and am curious what and if I could make a bed for my bunny from the either acrylic yarn or colored cotton yarn I have? Or even make toys

If your bunny binkies, it means he is full of joy. He leaps up in the air and twists his back legs up.
Here is a list of poisonous woods:
Acacia
Apricot
Azalea
Beech
Box
Cherry
Clematis
Elder
Holly
Ivy
Laburnum
Mistletoe
Oak
Oleander
Peach
Periwinkle
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Rosewood
Yew
Snowberry
Spindleberry
Thorn Apple
Waxplant
Wisteria
Here are some woods that are safe:
Apple
Birch
Blackberry
Fir tree
Hazel
Hawthorn
Maple
Pear
Rasberry
Spruce tree
Willow
By the way, what sort of lettuce are you feeding your bunny? Make sure its not iceberg lettuce!

Lady bug
Feeding romaine. Little bits at a time as he has only ever had rabbit food that had all different colors and hay everyday. He has had romaine lettuce with me. A small bit of honey dew melon and a small bit of pineapple. Very small bits of the fruits, and he loves all three.

I am able to get some birch tree parts. And other.

I forgot to thank you for describing a - bunny binky :) it sounds cute! Mine has only dug at my belly and lightly grabbed my shirt I guess trying to fluff it up :)

Lady bug
Feeding romaine. Little bits at a time as he has only ever had rabbit food that had all different colors and hay everyday. He has had romaine lettuce with me. A small bit of honey dew melon and a small bit of pineapple. Very small bits of the fruits, and he loves all three.

I am able to get some birch tree parts. And other.

Romain lettuce is fine. I would definitely recommend that and coz lettuce.

Here's a 20 second video showing binkies:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONibFrw2q8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONibFrw2q8[/ame]

Keep in mind that if your kitchen floor is tile or anything slippery, some rabbits don't like that. Such rabbits prefer to feel more sure-footed and don't like being on slick surfaces. Other rabbits don't care. Just wondering if a new floor surface caused him to be overwhelmed.

Here's a 20 second video showing binkies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONibFrw2q8

Keep in mind that if your kitchen floor is tile or anything slippery, some rabbits don't like that. Such rabbits prefer to feel more sure-footed and don't like being on slick surfaces. Other rabbits don't care. Just wondering if a new floor surface caused him to be overwhelmed.

This is so sweeet!

So CUTE! right now I am a big time security blanket when he's out but he is getting more brave. He's been in the kitchen 2 times (monitored) the first time he wanted nothing to do with it. Yesterday with the help of the mighty pellets (he LOVES them) and me coaxing him he was able to gain the courage to explore and start to "play" (nudge single cups of egg carton for the pellets under it) he kept coming back to me and I'd pet him and he would turn back around and either smell around or go explore again. He did jump on me one time and scared me but it was cool.

"I love my mommy. And she loves me. I give her kisses and try to help her clean my cage, but she always tells me to scoots when I help :) "

It is really rare for a rabbit to seek comfort from their human in the manner you describe your little guy doing. Typically, if they are scared, they cower in a corner or hide somewhere - not seek out a human.

It's really sweet that yours is that comfortable with you. That is rare indeed. You've got one special bunny.

Blue eyes
I was shocked too. But he has really been an interesting little guy. He's very calm and I can already do anything to him. I have had him on his back in my lap. I have lifted his front lip to look at his teeth (being nosy) I have touched him all over.

He is a major kisser. He loves to be pet. He "helps" me clean his cage in the morning. He has just been amazing. I think part of it is he is happier because he knows he'll have food everyday and water and human contact. And a very jealous but still curious dog to interact with.

Lady Bug
AJ had play time tonight and it was a fun time for all 3 of us, AJ - Buddy my dog and of course me. I found a box this afternoon that is decent size for AJ and I wanted to see if he would be interested. It was a hit!

AJ and Buddy. Buddy is a 12 pound Chihuahua.

AJ in my kitchen. Some single egg carton sections, the green ball has a bell in it, and the black thing is a dog toy rope frisbee thingy lol. The other cardboard is the pieces that came off the box.

Is there a way to get AJ to know his name? Besides saying it with good things happening to him like "treats", feeding, snuggles etc. ?

There are ways you can get AJ to come when called, some by using a clicker. Look on youtube or the internet for "how to teach a rabbit tricks" and it should go well. Your bunny is seriously the cutest rabbit I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot!

I am familiar with the clicker as I clicker train with Buddy the very jeaslous dog. :) will check it out with AJ

Latest posts

Back