New bunny mom here!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayKai

Reaction score
Hi there, My name is Kay and my new 3 month old bunny name is Binx. I'm very new to the bunny business lol so I would love to have tips and advice please. One of my Main concerns since getting Binx is that he seems cold towards me and runs away everytime I try to pet him. I buy Binx toys and plenty of food, I also clean his play pen out daily. I'm very gentle with him I speak to him kindly and after all that he still has not warmed up to me can you guys help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Hi Kay and Binx!! Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!
Bonding takes time.
I would advise laying/sitting on the ground and reading a book or just sitting and let him approach you and check you out.
It'll take time and maybe the first few times he won't even come up to you.
Give him a lonnggg time of quiet and over time he should bond.
Lemme know how it goes! :):p
Again, welcome welcome!!!!

Thank you Nancy and Maybae! I will try to do that more often also he doesn't like treats so I can't even coax him lol so I'm at a point where I'm a tad frustrated but I guess I'll just need a little more patience.

My bunny Opal wouldn’t even let me touch her when I got her. After 8 months she will usually still ignores me, but she still asks for head rubs sometimes or explores on me. It takes a lot of time for some rabbits, but knowing they are happy and healthy with you makes it worth it.

Also, welcome!

Like mentioned, just sit with him doing other things(eg. phone, laptop-no cords, read, etc) and let him learn to feel safe in your presence. You basically sit and ignore him for the most part. You don't want to try and pet or anything at the start. He'll eventually get curious about you and approach on his own. This could take several days, weeks, sometimes months with very timid or nervous rabbits. Rabbits take a lot of patience to earn their trust.

As he gets more comfortable approaching you and you being around, gradually you can start slowly reaching out a hand for him to smell, then eventually maybe a little scritch on the head, then one day he'll gladly accept head rubs. Don't force it, especially don't try and pick him up, or it could set back any trust you develop with him.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
Something else to consider, is if your bun is the blue eyed white lop in your profile photo, some blue eyed rabbits can have vision and/or hearing issues. So keep that in mind with your interactions with him. You may need to do things a little differently if you think this is the case with him.

Thank you all for the tips! and yes JBun, that's my bunny baby in the photo. I'm so glad you guys are responsive because as sad as it is I was considering giving Binx up to my boyfriend. I thought that he just wasn't interested in me being his mom 🥺I decided to be strong and wait it out after all he is still pretty young. So we'll see what happens and I'll give an update! 🙂

Welcome Kay, and Binx.
what @MayBae said is what you should do, My rabbit still will not let me hold him, but I think we might be getting close. I have had my rabbit for 3 years I think, maybe 2. I can't really remember. By the way, your bunny is so cute.

Hi there, My name is Kay and my new 3 month old bunny name is Binx. I'm very new to the bunny business lol so I would love to have tips and advice please. One of my Main concerns since getting Binx is that he seems cold towards me and runs away everytime I try to pet him. I buy Binx toys and plenty of food, I also clean his play pen out daily. I'm very gentle with him I speak to him kindly and after all that he still has not warmed up to me can you guys help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Hello Kay! i am in the exactly the same position as you, i have a new bunny who doesn’t like cuddles and isn’t a fan of humans. This is completely normal since they are prey animals but i completely understand how frustrating this is. So far, I have been letting my bunny approach on his own terms. I’ll sit with him so i’m closer to his level which makes him feel less intimidated and if he comes near me, i stay very still so he can sniff me and see that i am friendly. I also have found that stroking him when feeding him his favourite food and feeding him by hand has helped. Its a long process but creating a routine also helps.

I hope this helps a little and I hope you and Binx are soon best of friends. Binx sounds like he has a brilliant home so i wouldn’t worry too much about that, time will definitely help!

Hello and welcome! Just like everyone else said just be patient, I've had Blossom and Thumper for 4 years and Blossom is just letting me touch her sides and butt. Sit next to Binx and let them explore you, he'll get used to you but just remember most rabbits don't like being picked up and cuddled. Thumper's okay with it but Blossom hates it.

Latest posts

Back