New bunny isn't eating or drinking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonymary97

Reaction score
Hi,

So I got a new Netherland Dwarf boy yesterday as well as some handover food.

He hasn't eaten anything or drank any water for over 24 hours now. I have water in a bottle, and some water in a bowl to see which he would prefer but still nothing! What do I do? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Is he sitting in a hunched position like the rabbit in the picture? Is he pooping? Are you holding him, touching him, messing with him, etc?

Attachments

• 2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 4
It could be stress to... do you have any other pets, kids, or lound noises by his cage? By the way he is super cute!

have you tried treats? banana? apple? if the vet is opened, please call them.
Also give your bun a belly massage incase he has gas: - my bun had this problem recently and didn't eat for 12hrs but did eat about 5 pellets.
Could be he's new and afraid so doesn't trust you enough to eat, mine ate very little when I just got her, but still ate somewhat.

Force feed him critical care if you can get your hands on one.

Hi, can you share some more info, I understood you just brought his home yesterday and he refused any food or water. This is not unusual as rabbits can get stressed in new home with new people, one of my rabbits he was adopted as someone just left him on street in a cardboard box, he sat in his corner for 8 hours without any movement, when it got dark he drank water but started eating much later. I thought he's going to die honestly and thought he is very old. I just covered his box with a blanket and he had water, food and greens there so I just let him be for a couple days only changing water and refilling his food bowl (next day he started eating) and every time I just said Hi Fred, or Morning Fred, and left him alone again. It took about one week he started coming out of his corner I didn't force him, he is with me about 16 months now and he's an amazing friendly and loving rabbit, very active too.

So don't panic, I think he just needs his time it is advised that when you bring a new rabbit home you put him in his housing (small is better) cover it make sure there's no disturbing sounds, and leave them for 48 hours, changing water and bringing food if needed about twice a day.

If you could give more details, where you housed him, if he has his own space, where he can feel safe in new house?

Maybe he is just scared maybe he has too much attention, noisy environment, dogs, kids etc?

Also how old is he and is he neutered, any more info and some pics of him and his setup would be nice here

Only start to forse feed if he hasent eaten in over 2 days. if he is stressed it would be bad to start something new.

He is running around the cage and he is doing quite good. I have seen him eat a little hay. No poop or pee yet and no drinking still. He sits hunched over occasionally but is fine when I'm handling him. There is also

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_160456.jpg
    IMG_20200429_160456.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200429_160524.jpg
    IMG_20200429_160524.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 8
Try belly massages it could help him to try to move gas if there is any and help with pooping.

I would leave him alone for 2 days except when feeding him. I think he sitting in the hunched position because he scared not because he is in pain. Bringing Your Rabbit Home

I noticed 2 things from your pictures:
1. That cage is too small. Rabbits need at least 60 square feet of room to roam. Here are several links that will help: Housing Options.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/
2. He does not need hay all over the floor. Hay in a litter box is all the rabbit needs. Litter Training

I would leave him alone for 2 days except when feeding him. I think he sitting in the hunched position because he scared not because he is in pain. Bringing Your Rabbit Home

I noticed 2 things from your pictures:
1. That cage is too small. Rabbits need at least 60 square feet of room to roam. Here are several links that will help: Housing Options.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2020-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.96731/
2. He does not need hay all over the floor. Hay in a litter box is all the rabbit needs. Litter Training
Yes however he will need hay to eat but it doent have to be all over.

Yes! agree with not needing hay all over the floor, get him into good litter habits young.
If he is still somewhat eating then I think that's fine, seems like he's just scared. Belly massage while u pet anyway so he can get used to you touching there for future gas rubs.

How do you know there's no poo or pee, his floor is all covered with bedding maybe he did you just can't see.

He doesn't look scared at all, he looks comfortable on your lap. I agree that this cage is not big enough but for the starts it's okay and if you will attach an x-pen to it it will make nice homebase since he's just dwarf he'll be fine. I would cover the top with something so he can have a hide there and would feel safe, also I see snack there I personally never give snacks containing grain, seed or dairy products as it is not good for their stomach. I don't know why petshops sell them they can cause lots of trouble.

Also, what food you feed him, name, ingredients etc, how old is he?

Do you feed him his old food or new?

He's a pretty boy :)

Thank you everyone! The top has now been covered with a blanket and I did give him a little belly massage just before doing so. The breeder only gave me a bag of food, there's no name on it at all. I'll attach a picture. I shall remove the treat I had in the cage in that case I had no idea they weren't good for them. I also have a big outdoor cage for him to run around in but because he hasn't been vaccinated or anything yet I was hesitant to pop him in the big hutch.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_163127.jpg
    IMG_20200429_163127.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm guessing he is a baby because you got him from a breeder? If he is a baby, he should get unlimited Alfalfa pellets, unlimited Timothy hay, and unlimited water. Those pellets are junk. From first glance, I seriously thought they were paper. You need to slowly swap him over to a good Alfalfa based pellet.

Attachments

• 1588174757276.png
    1588174757276.png
    644 KB · Views: 1
He's 10 weeks! I have some of these on order just waiting for them to come in😁 I honestly don't think he was on this food at the breeders house, I think maybe she just gave me some cheap food with him and said he was on that🤷🏻

Perfect! Keep us updated on how he is doing. Also, keep an eye out for his poops, and make sure they are all healthy looking.

He's 10 weeks! I have some of these on order just waiting for them to come in😁 I honestly don't think he was on this food at the breeders house, I think maybe she just gave me some cheap food with him and said he was on that🤷🏻
This food is not very cheap but it is not good unfortunately. I adopted a rabbit in December or January he was also on this food and his owner also gave me lots of treats with grain for fim as he liked it. When they brought him to me I knew I will change his food to plain pellets but wanted to do it gradually, but he had so much problems with his stomach and his poos were so tiny and irregular, I just kept him one week on hay and water only with some fresh greens (mint, coriander) soaked in water, then when his poos were better I started with very few pellets just like 10 pellets per day, then after a few days 20 pellets, then 40, he is excellent shape and health now, great appetite and never blockages again.
But he is 2 year old he was on this and other grain based foods all the time, he was in trouble really.

I was so scared and hopeless and was very angry with people they never told me he had any problem with his stomach. I was lucky I noticed his tiny poos and did some research and I had to spend lots of time with him, first week was horrible he had just 8-10 poos per day and very tiny.

He's a very good rabbit now never any problem ne has 60 gram of plain nuggets (he's regular size rabbit so he needs a bit more pellets) in the evening, and a handful of fresh greens in the morning, both times I give him hay as well as he has better appetite for hay when I give him fresh. And unlimited water, he drinks about 200 ml per day.

Also I give him 1/3 of carrot or 1/4 of apple once or twice a week.

Here's how he looked when was his first days, sitting in hunched up position and pressing his belly to the floor because he tried to find comfortable position.

New rabbit fat and tiny poos

p1080216-jpg.44429

p1080255-jpg.44430

If your rabbits poos are very tiny and irregular shape he probably has problems with his belly, so massage and baby gas drops would help, and it's your decision but I wouldn't give him this food again. Just plain nuggets. If he's 10 weeks old you can give him Burgess Excel Junior/Dwarf easy to find they even sell in Tesco or other alfalfa based pellets with 16% protein and min 19% fiber, also calcium 1%, after he is 4 months you will need to change them to lower protein 13% and lower calcium pellets. Supreme is also good brand just make sure they are not muesli type but plain brown pellets without any fancy stuff in them.

For your rabbit I just hope he is a bit stressed because of new home for him and he has no health problems, anyway keep us updated :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back