New Bunny in home, old bunny upset?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeyskenzie

Reaction score
Hey there!
I recently brought in a new rabbit, a female, not yet spayed and my male rabbit is going bananas. Actually they both are. Just looking for some insight or tips on how I might navigate this situation.

I’ve had my rabbit Smokey for a few months not and he has an appoint for his neuter within the next couple of weeks. He is usually really mild mannered but recently has been marking with little droppings here and there outside of his litter box, but aside from that no major hormonal behavioral issues.

I found myself in a situation where I’d witnessed a female rabbit, who we’ve named Georgia, really mistreated. As in they were feeding her dog food mistreated in a nasty tiny cage. So I took it upon myself to ask if we could take her home and to my surprise they just let us take her with no issues. She has been in a quarantined room for a while but we have since moved her into the rabbit room. Both rabbits have their own x-pens and can see each other but are on opposite sides of the room. She is not spayed but will be on the same day as Smokey now.

Anyway, Smokey is throwing the king of all fits ever since he’s been in the same room, his marking has become worse, he is thumping and pacing and I’m not sure if this is something that will pass or if I need to separate them again? she is curious about him but does not seem to be as upset as Smokey is about their new rooming situation.

Any suggestions are appreciated. The plan is to eventually have them co-habitat once it is safe to do so without fear of them breeding or hurting each other.

Photo of Miss Georgia included for cuteness.
6D531DE3-3A3F-4AC9-BDCF-E820481CEE7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh wow she’s gorgeous. Unfortunately there’s nothing you can really do apart from keep them in different rooms (if poss) and have them spayed/ neutered as soon as you can. Even after it will take six- eight weeks for their hormones to calm down. Sorry- not sure that’s the answer you want but they’re hormones are going wild because they can smell each other. Even in separate rooms you’re still likely to see some continued behaviour as you’ll have their scent on you.

Oh wow she’s gorgeous. Unfortunately there’s nothing you can really do apart from keep them in different rooms (if poss) and have them spayed/ neutered as soon as you can. Even after it will take six- eight weeks for their hormones to calm down. Sorry- not sure that’s the answer you want but they’re hormones are going wild because they can smell each other. Even in separate rooms you’re still likely to see some continued behaviour as you’ll have their scent on you.
I figured that I would probably have to separate them again but figured I would ask thank you so much 😊

She is adorable!! For real that pic will be in my mind whenever I think of the Easter bun! Just wanted to mention to be careful with the Xpens! If they are that excited to try to be with each other, they will probably try to escape. Rabbits have been known to go to drastic measures to escape. I speak from experience ROTFL 🤣

She is adorable!! For real that pic will be in my mind whenever I think of the Easter bun! Just wanted to mention to be careful with the Xpens! If they are that excited to try to be with each other, they will probably try to escape. Rabbits have been known to go to drastic measures to escape. I speak from experience ROTFL 🤣
Lol that is good to know!!! 😂 My male has one about 5 feet tall and I’ve got another the same height that’ll be delivered tomorrow because I’m paranoid… hopefully that’ll contain them okay! For now Miss Georgia will go back into the bedroom to drive my husband crazy with her midnight binkies🤪

Spay and neuter.

Our newest intake has a neuter appt in the coming weeks. He is kept in a room with two 7 to 8 y.o. buns in their respective private bedroom spaces. He is spraying hubby and myself and putting down marbles everywhere as he romps about spacious areas.

Your girl is beautiful.

@Smokeyskenzie , Always BEST to be safe or super careful wrt a hormonal bun trying to escape etc. When our Flemish rescue boy arrived we had to order the tallest exercise pen (one we could open up the entry gate, and step into) because he leaped over the prior one.

Let us know details on the tall pen you ordered, please.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_StepInXpen_for RegalBigHandsomeMan_2013RST..jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_StepInXpen_for RegalBigHandsomeMan_2013RST..jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back