New Bunny "Home" Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here so this is my first post.

I adopted what I believe is a beautiful little holland lop about 8 weeks old. I was told to keep her in a large "cage" until shes a bit older but after her escaping twice this first night and scaring me half to death and countless youtube videos I've decided to transform my balcony to "room" for her instead 😊 A DIY Bunny Pen sounded easy enough buttttt... it's not 😅 so I have a handyman coming tomorrow to build somewhat of a half coop with roof and door but I was hoping you guys could give me some tips as a new bunny mom. I've attached some pictures of what I put together so far. All suggestions welcome!

The first picture is her “pen” so far

The second is inside the hiddie hut

Last one is just a picture of Neptune because she’s so cute and I’m obsessed! Lol I was told she’s an 8week old holland lop, would you guys agree? Her ears aren’t a definite lol likeI see when doing research

Thank you in advance from me and Neptune !!! 👩‍🚀

Attachments

• 42375F8B-9DD3-4204-84D4-1B9D1165AA20.jpeg
    42375F8B-9DD3-4204-84D4-1B9D1165AA20.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DE6FA359-A2D1-41E8-B232-F8859CA05015.jpeg
    DE6FA359-A2D1-41E8-B232-F8859CA05015.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 4C93998B-FDEC-4B55-BB4E-1C05C5EA03AC.jpeg
    4C93998B-FDEC-4B55-BB4E-1C05C5EA03AC.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello! Welcome to the forum. She’s very cute! Your set up looks good. I’d make sure that there is no gaps for her to escape because she is so small.
What are you feeding her at the moment?
Her ears might flop in a few weeks but they’ll probably be helicopter ears. Did you see her parents before you brought her? It might be that she was a mix. I think she might be a lionlop? But everyone knows that I’m no good at telling breeds.

Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd suggest getting a litter box setup (If you don't have one yet). The sooner she has one, the better.
There are many options for housing. You may want to take a look at our indoor cage threads for some ideas (in housing & environment). The more photos you see, the better idea you'll be able to form for what you'd like.
You may also find some ideas at my site as wee...
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
I was trying to see her food bowl too. What food is she getting? And do you have hay for her?

Hey there!

Thanks for the response, I did see mom and dad and they both have pretty big lop ears was just reading that by this age they should have already lop’d so I was a bit curious. There’s no holes to escape and I fortified it so she can’t squeeze out. Butttt I’m pretty sure she can chew threw the screen if she’s tries hard enough 😩 As of right now I’m feeding her alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay. Is it true I should get a grass hay and mix it, slowly weening her to grass hay only, so that I can start fresh veggies at about 12 weeks?

Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd suggest getting a litter box setup (If you don't have one yet). The sooner she has one, the better.
There are many options for housing. You may want to take a look at our indoor cage threads for some ideas (in housing & environment). The more photos you see, the better idea you'll be able to form for what you'd like.
You may also find some ideas at my site as wee...
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
I was trying to see her food bowl too. What food is she getting? And do you have hay for her?

Yes I took that photo this morning I’m actually just leaving the pet store I got alfalfa pellets for her as well as alfalfa hay. & a litter box, They suggested a small cat litter box but I’m worried she’s to small to hop in

It’s likely that she’ll have ‘helicopter’ ears. When she’s older, she will be able to chew that screen so id try to rabbit proof it or change the material. I would feed her Afalfa pellets and Timothy hay or vice versa. So I’d slowly wean her to Timothy hay, so that yes, you can feed her veggies in a few weeks. As for a litter box, when she’s bigger you can use a cat litter box but you can substitute with low sided box. Baby rabbits can still jump quite high.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/litter-training-your-pet-rabbit/

If her pellets are alfalfa then the hay can be grass hay. If you get alfalfa hay, I'd mix it with some grass hay already. The pellets are providing enough extra nutrients that a growing bunny needs.

The photo seems to show something mixed in with the pellets. The pellets should be plain pellets with no colorful add ins.

If you top her litter with hay, she'll likely find a way to hop in.:)

If her pellets are alfalfa then the hay can be grass hay. If you get alfalfa hay, I'd mix it with some grass hay already. The pellets are providing enough extra nutrients that a growing bunny needs.

The photo seems to show something mixed in with the pellets. The pellets should be plain pellets with no colorful add ins.

If you top her litter with hay, she'll likely find a way to hop in.:)

Thank you !!! & Yes that was a different generic rabbit food I got yesterday before all my research so it did has some other things mixed in, she has the alfalfa pellets now 🤗 I’m getting her litter set up with the hay now! 😊

It’s likely that she’ll have ‘helicopter’ ears. When she’s older, she will be able to chew that screen so id try to rabbit proof it or change the material. I would feed her Afalfa pellets and Timothy hay or vice versa. So I’d slowly wean her to Timothy hay, so that yes, you can feed her veggies in a few weeks. As for a litter box, when she’s bigger you can use a cat litter box but you can substitute with low sided box. Baby rabbits can still jump quite high.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/litter-training-your-pet-rabbit/
Oh gosh yes!!! She’s already realized the screen is a nice thing to chew at. Lol I have a handy man coming tomorrow to install somewhat of a chicken coop style roof and door to keep her safe. And okay alfalfa pellets, grass hay, got it! Thank you! 😊

Hi, I'm new here so this is my first post.

I adopted what I believe is a beautiful little holland lop about 8 weeks old. I was told to keep her in a large "cage" until shes a bit older but after her escaping twice this first night and scaring me half to death and countless youtube videos I've decided to transform my balcony to "room" for her instead 😊 A DIY Bunny Pen sounded easy enough buttttt... it's not 😅 so I have a handyman coming tomorrow to build somewhat of a half coop with roof and door but I was hoping you guys could give me some tips as a new bunny mom. I've attached some pictures of what I put together so far. All suggestions welcome!

The first picture is her “pen” so far

The second is inside the hiddie hut

Last one is just a picture of Neptune because she’s so cute and I’m obsessed! Lol I was told she’s an 8week old holland lop, would you guys agree? Her ears aren’t a definite lol likeI see when doing research

Thank you in advance from me and Neptune !!! 👩‍🚀
Hi, welcome aboard :)

She doesn't look like a holland lop at the moment, if her parents were lops she might have her ears dropped later but also I can see some other breeds in her, it is possible that her parents were not purebred holland lops and she inherited her looks from her grands and greats, maybe he had some lionheads and hotot in her line as well. It happens quite often with mixed breeds, both parents look like lops but their kits look like lionheads or other breeds.

You've got a very nice balcony surely you could build a nice housing for her, I'd have too many ideas I just don't know what materials you have at hand I'd probably get a high playpen panels and would fix them to the walls to make a temporary enclosure for her, let her grow a bit and see how it goes what she likes etc and then build something more permanent.

If you are in Florida you should think of protecting her from heat as rabbits have fur and tolerate cold much better than heat so if your balcony is on a sunny side I wouldn't probably plan on keeping her in there.

That's great that you did your research and are going to replace her muesli-type food to plain pellets, you will also need hay - that's most important she needs hay all the time. I wouldn't go with alfalfa hay she already has alfalfa pellets so timothy hay or meadow hay or other type except alfalfa would be good. She looks good not underweight so no need to overfeed her.

I would suggest to follow Blue eyes advice and read carefully her website on toilet training and there you will find some excellent tips and generally it is great source for any new bunny person.

She doesn't look like a holland lop at the moment, if her parents were lops she might have her ears dropped later but also I can see some other breeds in her, it is possible that her parents were not purebred holland lops and she inherited her looks from her grands and greats, maybe he had some lionheads and hotot in her line as well. It happens quite often with mixed breeds, both parents look like lops but their kits look like lionheads or other breeds.

You've got a very nice balcony surely you could build a nice housing for her, I'd have too many ideas I just don't know what materials you have at hand I'd probably get a high playpen panels and would fix them to the walls to make a temporary enclosure for her, let her grow a bit and see how it goes what she likes etc and then build something more permanent.

If you are in Florida you should think of protecting her from heat as rabbits have fur and tolerate cold much better than heat so if your balcony is on a sunny side I wouldn't probably plan on keeping her in there.

That's great that you did your research and are going to replace her muesli-type food to plain pellets, you will also need hay - that's most important she needs hay all the time. I wouldn't go with alfalfa hay she already has alfalfa pellets so timothy hay or meadow hay or other type except alfalfa would be good. She looks good not underweight so no need to overfeed her.

I would suggest to follow Blue eyes advice and read carefully her website on toilet training and there you will find some excellent tips and generally it is great source for any new bunny person.

Right!? She doesn’t look too much like a holland lop to me either but I wasn’t sure because mom and dad both have the definite lop ears, guess time will tell either way she’s adorable. I’m definitely going to check out blue eyes site as well I have so many questions about training so I’ll head over there! Lol Handyman is coming soon so I’m excited to get her all set up. She didn’t escape but I was so nervous & checking on her all night lol

thanks for the advice! 🤗

As for the heat. How hot is too hot in your opinion? I am in Broward county so definitely very hot out so that worries me, however I live on the 3rd floor & off the water so there’s generally a nice breeze, I used the corner of the balcony so when the sun hits hard she has a nice cool/shaded area as well the roof comes out quite a bit so the rain never gets in. I felt like it was better then inside because my husband likes it very cold, and she has more space on the balcony. Okay rant over. Lol

It is best keeping under 80 degrees F, 60-70 would be most comfortable temperature for a rabbit. Remember they have their fur and they would tolerate cold better than heat.

Latest posts

Back