New bunny has URI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
am adopting a male lionhead bunny soon from a neglect/cruelty situation. He has noisy breathing, sneezing. Currently he is staying inside in a warm environment now with a very kind knowledgeable foster person. Vet has him on Baytril. He is eating well, weighs 5 lbs. Eyes and lungs are clear. Just in his nose per the vet. Question is whether he will ever be well enough and noncontagious. We have a healthy spayed female lionhead and eventually had hoped to bond them. Vet is doing cultures. Anyone had success vaccinating their healthy rabbit against URI?

Last edited:
am adopting a male lionhead bunny soon from a neglect/cruelty situation. He has noisy breathing, sneezing. Currently he is staying inside in a warm environment now with a very kind knowledgeable foster person. Vet has him on Baytril. He is eating well, weighs 5 lbs. Eyes and lungs are clear. Just in his nose per the vet. Question is whether he will ever be well enough and noncontagious. We have a healthy spayed female lionhead and eventually had hoped to bond them. Vet is doing cultures. Anyone had success vaccinating their healthy rabbit against URI?
dear c.webster,-upper respiratory infectionURI,--start a running chart on weight,eating,and the medical problem,--24x7{ grasses,{timothy}-water,}some quality pellets,good rabbit treats,--and for now,keep the two apart-until you see an improvement..any antibiotic,rabbit must have a probiotic-farm supply store,maybe petsmart,-the antibiotic will disrupt the gi tract and cause more problems,--watch the poops,must poop..lots to know here,i am pleased you are concerned--good going,--sincerely james waller-vaccines don,t believe there are any,yet

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Will get some probiotics and check bunny out carefully. Wish there was a vaccination for pasteurella and bordetella for bunnies. We adopted a cat who had calici and luckily just snores but is healthy now. We vaccinated our other cats against calici and boarded the sick cat until she was healthy again before introducing her and i would really like to protect the healthy bunny if possible. Am waiting to see what the nasal swab will culture, vet will let us know if bunny is on the right antibiotic.

Even if you vaccinate, there will still be a time period (usually a few weeks) in which vaccinated bunny doesn’t have immunity yet, as it takes that time for the immune system to react. By that time it’s very possible your sick bunny might no longer be contagious - I’d wait to see what the culture comes back as.

Got culture and sensitivity results today from the vet. Arnold has pseudomonas and bordetella which the vet said are sensitive to the baytril bunny is getting. He will recheck him in two weeks. Fiposter person said bunny initially got better then relapsed a little.

I thought it was? Not necessarily stocked by your vet, but it is available for them to purchase, as far as I'm aware.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Will get some probiotics and check bunny out carefully. Wish there was a vaccination for pasteurella and bordetella for bunnies. We adopted a cat who had calici and luckily just snores but is healthy now. We vaccinated our other cats against calici and boarded the sick cat until she was healthy again before introducing her and i would really like to protect the healthy bunny if possible. Am waiting to see what the nasal swab will culture, vet will let us know if bunny is on the right antibiotic.
dear cwebster,-glad to hear the dvm did a nasal culture,-I am not aware the feline calici-is transferable-to rabbits,or was this just a health concern.-sincerely james waller

James, dont know who can catch what. We just try to be very careful because we want to give all our critters (most are rescues) a happy healthy quality life. I hope the new male bunny in foster (Arnold) gets well soon and does not end up a carrier so we can get him fixed and try to bond him with our spayed female, Dutchess. Maybe we are overly protective but we want them to be really well cared for. That is why we adopted them, to care for them.

James, dont know who can catch what. We just try to be very careful because we want to give all our critters (most are rescues) a happy healthy quality life. I hope the new male bunny in foster (Arnold) gets well soon and does not end up a carrier so we can get him fixed and try to bond him with our spayed female, Dutchess. Maybe we are overly protective but we want them to be really well cared for. That is why we adopted them, to care for them.
dear cwebster,--I understand,-{when you have time}, www.medirabbit.com ,it helped me with very tough questions--sincerely james waller

James, thank you for the great link! Very helpful.
Jenny, thank you for the info about Bunnyvac. Will ask our vet about it.

Latest posts

Back