New bunnie pooping WAY too much...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows_Girl

Reaction score
So I just fed my rabbit carrotts and a piece of celery and he sat on my lap for not even 2minutes and I had more then 15 little poops all over me. Normally its only like 4. This is the second time its happend. Whats up?? He has a vet app next weekend, the petstore gave me a certificate for one free visit. They cancelled this weekends, but I got another one for next sat. Anyone haveany ideas??

lots of poop is good. as long as the poops are regular sized. and not to dry or wet. my bunny Kweli is a poop machine. 15 poops are nothing for her.

Nicole

Very normal!:)New rabbits do it even more because they are feeling uncertain about their territory--and young rabbits have much less control than adults. Oh, and males have a major thing about pooping all over. Give it time and much of that should settle, although my 2-yr.-old STILL likes to leave lots and lots of presents--but he's not neutered, so he thinks I'm his girlfriend aka territory.

Has he hit puberty yet (what breed, and how old)?

Rose

I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that you're feeding a 9 week old bunny carrots and a piece of celery. I don't have the exact information in front of me - but I was thinking that 4 months was the recommended age adn that 6 months was even better. However, it is late at night and I can't remember for sure. Please understand....I'm NOT criticizing...just concerned about your bunny. (I did have one bunny that snuck from Tiny's salad at a young age and he was just fine).

I would suggest that if you see some diaherrea (sp?) develop in the next couple of days...you feed a small amount of oats (oatmeal - usually the long cooking kind - but uncooked) or hay. This tends to help the rabbits stop have diaherrea (although it is not a cure-all).

Peg

Just wanted to add that I began very small amounts of greens for my 4-wk.-old Pals, on up through their adolescence and adulthood--with no problems whatever. by nine weeks they were like little piranhas when the greens appeared. :)However, my Hollands are touchier and tend to react to greens/carrots. Weird.

Did someone mention the strings of celery being bad? I can't remember. Peg's right about the oatmeal, and I've had excellent luck with de-spined raspberry and blackberry leaves (stupid winter!).

Rose

My bunny started pooping more and more to claim territory as she went from 2 months to 4 months and I had her neutered at 6 months which stopped the problem. Similar experience with my unneutered male when I introduced him to my neutered female it was like an explosion in a ball bearing factory but again stopped on neutering!

Liz

northerndancer wrote:
Similar experience with my unneutered male when I introduced him to my neutered female it was like an explosion in a ball bearing factory

That is absolutely the best description I've ever heard.

:rofl:

Rose

Latest posts

Back