New bun, pellets? alfalfa?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
Against advice, we got a 10 week old flemish giant as a friend for our little over a year bun. his name is Chubs. I think we are going to wait to start bonding until after he is neutered (as soon as those nuggets drop, they're getting snipped). With our original bun, Rori, I was giving her alfalfa and pellets, but she was 4 weeks old when we got her. Do I need to be giving Chubs alfalfa and/or pellets? Currently he is getting greens and a mix of timothy hay and orchard grass hay. Also, is timothy hay good? I want to do orchard grass as I have heard it's the best option, but I can't find anyone locally who has bales of it. I can get bales of timothy easily though.

Most healthy pellets (not colorful mixes) for juvenile rabbits are alfalfa-based. That is great for growing bunnies. Since the pellets are alfalfa-based, the hay you feed does not have to be alfalfa (though it can be). Feeding grass hay - any grass hay - (like timothy, orchard, bermuda, brome) is just fine. They can even be mixed. If your guy is already eating grass hay, I'd continue to let him. [Some rabbits get spoiled with the rich alfalfa hay (which is not grass) and then don't want to switch when they get older.]

Being a Flemish Giant, he will be on a juvenile diet for longer than other rabbits. Most rabbits switch to an adult diet at 6 months of age. For Flemish, they need more time to grow and continue the juvenile diet through about 9-12 months.

a little confused. should I add alfalfa hay? Or just pellets?

If the pellets have alfalfa as an ingredient, then no on the Alfalfa--it's also hard to wean most off of alfalfa. I used a pellet with alfalfa and unlimited orchard grass. After 6 months transitioned to all timothy pellets and cut back on high calcium veggies also.

^except she may want to go longer on the alfalfa pellets since bunny is a Flemish Giant.

If you choose to add pellets, be sure you find a healthy, for-juvenile-rabbits, plain pellet.
Supreme Selective and some of the Oxbow lines have pellets formulated for juvenile rabbits.

thanks! i used oxbow juvenile for Rori, will pick those up for Chubs too!

Latest posts

Back