Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMomDelux

Reaction score
I just took in a 15lbs bun last week. Energetic, eats a lot and lets me pick her up. She has a clear discharge from her nose and I’m constantly picking tiny dry boogers from the corner of her eyes. I’m dying to take her to a vet since she’s never been (7 mo old) but no one has been taking any new clients for months.
What can I do for her?
I may be able to order meds but no tests. My friend is a dog/cat vet & MIGHT be able to order for me. Anyone knows how I can try to diagnose her myself? Anything I can do to help her?
she also seems to breathe fast & hard but it slows down if I gently pet her face. Ears warm not hot.

Like eye crusties, or is it white sticky discharge when wet, or if dry is it drying hard and grainy in the fur?

Like eye crusties, or is it white sticky discharge when wet, or if dry is it drying hard and grainy in the fur?
It’s just a small little dry nugget at both corners of the eye. If I pick it off it’s there again maybe an hour later. No streaks of tears and very little nose wetness that’s viscous but clear. I know she was recused from a meat farm and then housed outside on a balcony. Never been properly cared for.

Rabbits can get eye crusties, which is normal. And a little bit of moisture around the nose can be normal if a rabbit is hot or stressed. But if she continues to have steady nasal discharge and eye crustiness that seems abnormal, it's possible she could have a respiratory tract infection, a tear duct infection, or possibly even dental related.

You could see if your vet friend is able to check her out and prescribe a baytril suspension if there is a suspected infection. Baytril is one of the antibiotics considered safe to give to rabbits orally(not all antibiotics are safe for rabbits). It usually needs to be a long course of at least 4 weeks. And if that doesn't clear it up or things get worse, try your best to find a rabbit vet that will get you in.

Medirabbit: antibiotics safe for rabbits and dosage info

Medirabbit: respiratory infections

Medirabbit: dental issues

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Thank you so much for the input. Since she arrived I have been moving the furniture around a lot around her space I think that might be stressful. I also have two others she really wants to play with but she’s not fixed yet so they’re separate but can still see each other. I looked at her teeth nothing stands out but I’m not sure what to look for.
I can get meds maybe but no one to look at her the friend is in another province & the only rabbit vet I’m able to get to hasn’t taken new clients in a year.

Would taking her temperature be enough to say ‘this is an infection’? And if so the concentration & dose of the bsytril would be a challenge as vet friend isn’t familiar with rabbits he’ll only be able to prescribe what I tell him I need.
id literally pay $2000 just to get her seen but it’s not happening :.(

Rabbits can get eye crusties, which is normal. And a little bit of moisture around the nose can be normal if a rabbit is hot or stressed. But if she continues to have steady nasal discharge and eye crustiness that seems abnormal, it's possible she could have a respiratory tract infection, a tear duct infection, or possibly even dental related.

You could see if your vet friend is able to check her out and prescribe a baytril suspension if there is a suspected infection. Baytril is one of the antibiotics considered safe to give to rabbits orally(not all antibiotics are safe for rabbits). It usually needs to be a long course of at least 4 weeks. And if that doesn't clear it up or things get worse, try your best to find a rabbit vet that will get you in.

Medirabbit: antibiotics safe for rabbits and dosage info

Medirabbit: respiratory infections

Medirabbit: dental issues

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
****. Thanks for those links awesome info easy to understand!

Thank you so much for the input. Since she arrived I have been moving the furniture around a lot around her space I think that might be stressful. I also have two others she really wants to play with but she’s not fixed yet so they’re separate but can still see each other. I looked at her teeth nothing stands out but I’m not sure what to look for.
I can get meds maybe but no one to look at her the friend is in another province & the only rabbit vet I’m able to get to hasn’t taken new clients in a year.

Would taking her temperature be enough to say ‘this is an infection’? And if so the concentration & dose of the bsytril would be a challenge as vet friend isn’t familiar with rabbits he’ll only be able to prescribe what I tell him I need.
id literally pay $2000 just to get her seen but it’s not happening :.(
I've never ever heard of such an outrageous vet bill for getting my bunny seen . Wow
I've also never heard of any vet refusing to look at my dogs or rabbits when needed, they are never turned away. That's very sad. You need to find an exotic vet who knows what he's doing for bunnies. I hope you can find someone because if theirs ever an emergency, it's nice to know there's somewhere to go

Some rabbits tend to just have somewhat more weepy eyes than others. I had one like that but since she had a bondmate, the bondmate kept it groomed well. Otherwise I'd have just had to wipe it off as needed.

As @JBun mentioned, some clear discharge from the nose could be nothing more than a bit of stress. Clear is good! It's when it gets milky or colored that it is definitely a concern.

Some rabbits tend to just have somewhat more weepy eyes than others. I had one like that but since she had a bondmate, the bondmate kept it groomed well. Otherwise I'd have just had to wipe it off as needed.

As @JBun mentioned, some clear discharge from the nose could be nothing more than a bit of stress. Clear is good! It's when it gets milky or colored that it is definitely a concern.
Thanks so much for the input. I’m always super anxious about making sure they’re healthy & comfortable. She’s otherwise fine & really affectionate & energetic so I’m sure I’m just being a worry-wart.

Latest posts

Back