New breeder. Looking for advice.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadRabbitLover

Reaction score
Hello, just joined this website.
I've just started breeding my rabbits and am looking for some advice from the older breeders. I'm only 17 and my mom just started allowing me to breed them.
Everything is going pretty well, but my doe isn't having babies yet for some reason. My doe is 2 years old and has had a litter before. My buck is 6 months old and has never sired a litter. I let them stay in the same enclosure (cant call it a pen or hutch because its bigger, more like a shed and run connected) and they get along very well and ive seen them mate before, but theres been no babies. My buck is intact and ive checked every nook and cranny that she could have kits in, but nothing. They've been together for over 2 months.
Its winter right now so I'm guessing that might be why.
Anyone here have any ideas why? Or any other rabbit related tips (toys, enrichment, health tips, etc) would also be appreciated. I know a lot about rabbits, but I want to give them the best possible care and make them the happiest I can.

You say your doe is 2 years old. Do you know when she had her first litter? It becomes harder to get a doe bred the longer you wait between litters. The buck is a little young but should be fertile.

What is the temp there now? The problem with allowing them to stay together is that you won’t know if/when the doe is due should she become pregnant. Do you have access to a proven buck you could use to breed her?

It’s not freezing, but it is cold. Around in the low 40s. I’ve looked for someone who would lend their buck, but the other breeders around here don’t seem to be very open to that.

Last edited:
Low 40’s isn’t that bad. I would separate them and wait a month before trying again. In the meantime, do you attend any rabbit shows? We found that attending shows and getting to know the breeders well really help when you need assistance, like borrowing a buck. I’ve even seen rabbits being bred at a show tho I’m sure it was planned ahead of time.

I have been breeding rabbits for about a year now... My advice is to keep records of everything day male and female are put together when they were separated ect..

I would personally keep them separate. Your buck is still young and he may not have that mentality yet and if you keep them together it may take longer for him to get there. Separate until he’s 8months and then try again

Buck is young but can also be light how much light are they getting try increase the time they have light on in their shed to at least 18 hours and this will probably help and when they are mating is the buck falling off to one side after

Latest posts

Back