New born kits part 2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee-hoop-0u

Reaction score
So I posted about my concerns earlier and got some help for it but this concern is a little more concerningšŸ¤£ so when my bunny gave birth she gave birth in the nest I did not want her to go in I had let her free during the day thinking she was going to have her babies at night but she had them at 1pm and in that space she had 9 kits so obviously there wasnā€™t enough space I than changed them in a nesting box with all her hair and hay that she had put in the original nest but for two days she did not feed them in the nesting box she knew they were there she went to see them a couple of times but did not feed them I was getting worried this morning she was just sitting in her old nest so I decided to put them back in the old nest and immediately she fed them some are still skinny (Iā€™ll put images below) but they were smaller then the rest so they might be fed just smaller! After she fed them I put them back because they have no place to move but I just donā€™t know what to do will I have to do this everyday? Should I feed the smaller ones myself? *ill put a picture of all the kits separately you guys tell me what you think they are day 3* *also this has never happened before my bunny and I are bonded I touch her babies but she never cares she actually wants me to pet her or show her the baby but while I was taking those pictures she started biting and scratching me?*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2
Those look like some healthy babies! I'm glad they're doing well. In my experience it does more harm than help if you try to feed them yourself. If there are any you are really stressed about, try nursing them alone. You can take the fat ones out and leave them in a warm place, and put your mama in a nestbox with the skinny ones. Pet her to keep her calm for about 5-10 minutes, and the babies will have time to fill their tummies. You will probably even hear them sucking.
Again, be sure they really need the help, as such a experience could be stressful for them and cause them even more harm. One thing that helps me determine is really looking at if they are skinny vs. small. Skinny needs help, small is best left alone. I can see a size difference in yours, but none to me look really skinny. If you want you could send pictures of the small ones tummies and I will look.

As far as the nest, I'm not really sure what to say! I've never had a girl make a nest anywhere besides the box. My instinct is to keep her closed up with the nest you made, but clearly that's not working. Is the spot where she made her first nest able to be closed off? Or do you have a larger room like an empty bedroom you could keep her in? That way she could be somewhat confined but not desperate to get out, and she might adapt better to the new nest if she knows there's no way she can go back to her old one. Others may have better advice about it!

And one more thing to keep in mind, you rarely ever ever will see her feed them. I can count on 1 hand the times I've seen a doe nurse her babies of her own will in front of me. So it might seem like she's never feeding them, but it's easier to judge by full tummies than her time spent in the box. They only need a few minutes to get full tummies.

Hopefully this helps! Keep us updated :)

Those look like some healthy babies! I'm glad they're doing well. In my experience it does more harm than help if you try to feed them yourself. If there are any you are really stressed about, try nursing them alone. You can take the fat ones out and leave them in a warm place, and put your mama in a nestbox with the skinny ones. Pet her to keep her calm for about 5-10 minutes, and the babies will have time to fill their tummies. You will probably even hear them sucking.
Again, be sure they really need the help, as such a experience could be stressful for them and cause them even more harm. One thing that helps me determine is really looking at if they are skinny vs. small. Skinny needs help, small is best left alone. I can see a size difference in yours, but none to me look really skinny. If you want you could send pictures of the small ones tummies and I will look.

As far as the nest, I'm not really sure what to say! I've never had a girl make a nest anywhere besides the box. My instinct is to keep her closed up with the nest you made, but clearly that's not working. Is the spot where she made her first nest able to be closed off? Or do you have a larger room like an empty bedroom you could keep her in? That way she could be somewhat confined but not desperate to get out, and she might adapt better to the new nest if she knows there's no way she can go back to her old one. Others may have better advice about it!

And one more thing to keep in mind, you rarely ever ever will see her feed them. I can count on 1 hand the times I've seen a doe nurse her babies of her own will in front of me. So it might seem like she's never feeding them, but it's easier to judge by full tummies than her time spent in the box. They only need a few minutes to get full tummies.

Hi thank you so much but honestly my rabbit is weird she will only feed her babies if Iā€™m watching hahahah for example this morning I go check on the bunnies and there not fed so I call my bunny over and point to the babies and she jumps in the box and feeds them while licking mešŸ¤£ my rabbit is a little dependent on me honestly and yes most of them have FAT bellies today after this but some of the fatter ones from yersterday are less fat today like they let the smaller one get more milk today is that possible? Also does loose skin mean there not getting fed enough or itā€™s just because they are babies? *all 9 are perfectly healthy this morning itā€™s day 4 what day can I stop worrying if theyā€™ll make it or not*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 3

For example the big one with a lot of black spots is his belly is smaller than yersterday and he has a lot of extra skin

Latest posts

Back