New bad habit?!?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy&Tuli4693

Reaction score
So I have two bunnys, Tuli is a 6yo free rome spayed female minilop and Dandy is a 4month old lionhead who just got neutered last week

Before he got neutered they were fully bonded and cuddled with no agression

Then his "nuts" dropped and he became aggressive and hormonal

Anyway Tuli has a nice big litterbox and she used to be an amazing litter trained bunny who would never have accidents but now she kicks out her litter everywhere and it gets all nasty whens he kicks it out and now she end up peeing next to the litterbox too!
I'm wondering if its cause the new bun or if she has a bladder problem since she's getting pretty old, if so I'll probably end up going to my exotic vet and have her checked out

Any tips concerns or advice on how to solve this problem?

If she's having accidents in other places, dribbling drops of urine around, straining to urinate, and/or has a urine soaked bum, then yes, it could be something like a UTI. If her bum is dry and the pee accidents are only next to the litter box, it could be territorial marking because of your male becoming hormonal and his behavior changing. This can still be the cause even though he's not around her now and he's neutered. If it's this, it can take a few weeks for the behavior to settle back down. One thing to rule out is if any part of the litter box has low sides, make sure she's not just hanging her bum over the side when she pees, with the puddle ending up outside the litter box.

To stop her digging in the litter box, a screen covering the litter can be used. Some use metal mesh screens, I prefer soft ones for my rabbits. Plastic cross stitch canvas(7 hole) would be the easiest to make as you can just cut it to size with scissors. Or I use diy screens made from plastic pet window screen, zip tied to a plastic frame. If you don't want to use a screen and you don't currently put a layer of hay over the litter, you could try that. Hay covering the litter will sometimes discourage digging.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html

I have 2 litter trays as Nugget prefers one and Bambi prefers the other. Best litter tray is a plastic dogs bed as it has very high back and sides to stop litter throwing and a low front for them to hop into. Please dont use a mesh as i have heard stories of trapped and broken paws and sharp chewed wires sticking up going into their underbelly.

Latest posts

Back