New Area, Need some ideas please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a larger breed rabbit. She has her area in our large dining room. She currently has the 2nd largest dog crate and we use an x-pen attached to the crate and give her a long area to play in. We do not have a lot of space to put our rabbits. We may be switching things around a bit. I would SO love to have another rabbit to be buddies with Lucy. At the time we bought her my husband wasn't sure about rabbits. He only wanted to keep her if she didn't smell:) Anyway I feel like I need to get a bit creative with the space and build up. Her space literally takes up 20 feet by 4 feet. I have thought about "cat enclosures" and the build your own rabbit condos. My husband says we need to work on improving Lucy's space before we get another rabbit. Her dog crate really isn't big enough. My husband built a little shelf for her to lay on. We have a carpeted cat condo she sits on. She has a kids size tunnel. I love having a big place for her but we probably could use the space better.

Have you thought of free-roaming (if you can)? It tends to take the least amount of space as all you really need is a little Homebase.

She has ruined a lot of cords. The phone cords are our fault for leaving them out but we can't do much about our light cords, fish cords or computer cords. She chewed up 8 inches up the door once. I would like it if she could be free roaming but will pee in our laundry room and a couple other places. Our house is not in good shape but we are going to redo flooring, wood trim and doors. If she could stop eating cords we could keep bedroom and laundry doors closed. Last night she got out and visited my bedroom:)

Nicole

She has ruined a lot of cords. The phone cords are our fault for leaving them out but we can't do much about our light cords, fish cords or computer cords. She chewed up 8 inches up the door once. I would like it if she could be free roaming but will pee in our laundry room and a couple other places. Our house is not in good shape but we are going to redo flooring, wood trim and doors. If she could stop eating cords we could keep bedroom and laundry doors closed. Last night she got out and visited my bedroom:)

Nicole
Ah no way! I can see why she can’t be free roamed! I’m not too sure what your set up is like. I would just look on Google and Pinterest and see if you can get some inspiration from it and see how you can fit it into your home. I have Apollo’s set up mostly in a corner around my Kallax unit. I definitely recommend using height to your advantage - like something with a few floors, but still enough space.

Nicole
There is a solution for the cords... at Home Depot there is really cheap cord protectors that you can easily put over the cords. Bitter apple spray could work for the chewing door problem, and make sure your bun has lots of chew toys. This should discourage her from chewing the doors.

Bunny proofing is needed to protect cords or anything else that one doesn't want chewed. Cords are typically a favorite "chew toy" for most rabbits.

Here are some tips for bunny proofing:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bunny-proofing.html
If you could post a photo of your current setup, perhaps we could offer some suggestions.

Attachments

• 20210210_142603.jpg
    20210210_142603.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142545.jpg
    20210210_142545.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142419.jpg
    20210210_142419.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142425.jpg
    20210210_142425.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142539.jpg
    20210210_142539.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142333.jpg
    20210210_142333.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210210_142354.jpg
    20210210_142354.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210210_142406.jpg
    20210210_142406.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for posting those photos!

I see what you mean that the space doesn't seem well utilized. The way the pen is angled in gives her plenty of lounging room but not running/exercise space. On a side note, I'm amazed she doesn't chew the edges of the foam mats. I don't think they would have survived any of my rabbits!! The fabric tunnel would've been chewed to bits as well. She must be a mellow bun!

But to get back to the pen area, creating a space with upper levels can be nice, but bear in mind that upper levels really only provide some extra lounging areas. It seems to me that what she could use is more useable floor space. The long, narrow setup doesn't give her space to run and dash about which is important for exercise.

Is there a way (or other area) in which the pen can create a rounder (or square) floor area? Even the space created by the pens in the photos below, while not huge, are more conducive to exercise.
1612998077634.png
1612998157250.png

Try to find an area where you can accommodate a larger play/run area. If it just isn't possible, then the other option may be to partially free roam. By this I'd mean blocking off a section of the home - whether a whole room or a hallway and a room -- whatever you feel comfortable with. Then just that space would need to be bunny proofed while gates or pens can be used to block off the other areas of the home.

I've done this quite often. It worked well with a smaller house -- they had the whole downstairs with the exception of the office and the laundry room (that can be seen in video below). It also worked well with a larger house -- keeping them confined to the large kitchen, dining, hallway, and large laundry room. (I'll look for a photo of that).

I found one photo (below) from the larger home that kind of shows what I mean. This was from 12 years ago. The white pen was used to block the rabbits from that further away room. The brass pen was only put there when we got that puppy. We used it to separate him from the rabbits when we weren't there to watch/monitor. But it would normally be used to block the room's other entrance -- a corner which can be seen in the lower right of the photo.

1613007047456.png

We have a small/medium house and will be switching the family room and dining room (the room she is in right now will be carpeted and turned into a family room). We move her crate sometimes to in front of the backdoor and she will have more of a square shape...it is in the way though. The only possibility is either making a double nik cube type area for her in the dining room or putting her in the basement in my boy's room:( I really do not want to do that. I like to have her be able to look out the window.

I see what you mean that the space doesn't seem well utilized. The way the pen is angled in gives her plenty of lounging room but not running/exercise space. On a side note, I'm amazed she doesn't chew the edges of the foam mats. I don't think they would have survived any of my rabbits!! The fabric tunnel would've been chewed to bits as well. She must be a mellow bun!

But to get back to the pen area, creating a space with upper levels can be nice, but bear in mind that upper levels really only provide some extra lounging areas. It seems to me that what she could use is more useable floor space. The long, narrow setup doesn't give her space to run and dash about which is important for exercise.

Is there a way (or other area) in which the pen can create a rounder (or square) floor area? Even the space created by the pens in the photos below, while not huge, are more conducive to exercise.
View attachment 53107
View attachment 53108

Try to find an area where you can accommodate a larger play/run area. If it just isn't possible, then the other option may be to partially free roam. By this I'd mean blocking off a section of the home - whether a whole room or a hallway and a room -- whatever you feel comfortable with. Then just that space would need to be bunny proofed while gates or pens can be used to block off the other areas of the home.

I've done this quite often. It worked well with a smaller house -- they had the whole downstairs with the exception of the office and the laundry room (that can be seen in video below). It also worked well with a larger house -- keeping them confined to the large kitchen, dining, hallway, and large laundry room. (I'll look for a photo of that).

View attachment 53107
View attachment 53108

Love the video:) Thank you:)

Latest posts

Back