New angora rabbit- advice please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollolyptic

Reaction score
Hello all! In the past few months, I have been questing around my area trying to find a male bunny for adoption to bond with my rex, and long story short I now have a very sweet satin angora. I did research before getting him, especially in regards to grooming requirements, but I still have a few concerns and questions.
First, it is okay to have a wooly breed with nonwooly rabbits, correct? I know that breed doesn't matter when it comes to bonding per say, but one thing that occurred to me yesterday was the idea of her ingesting a lot of his hair and whether or not her digestive system can handle that.
I was also wondering about pellets if they bond and are housed together.. wool producers need 18% protein, right? So should I give them both a higher or lower protein pellet since they'll both be eating it, or should I separate them to eat their pellets? And, with papaya tablets, how old is safe to start giving them to them? He has unlimited hay of course, but I want to do all I can to prevent wool block.
Lastly, the owner I adopted him from seemed to be very knowledgeable and all her animals were well taken care of him (I adopted him from a local dairy farm) but she said that his favorite treat was peanut butter. I know peanut butter is really high fat and shouldn't be given to bunnies, so should I be concerned about the health impact that her giving him that will have?

I'm hoping to get him a vet checkup as soon as I can, but with the stress of the long car ride home and new environment I'm trying to space out the traumatizing experiences, so some reassurance in the meantime would be super appreciated!
And if anyone has any advice regarding angora care in general, please please share, and thank you!

You might want to feed them separately since 18% protein is pretty high for a neutered non wool rabbit. Since rabbits can groom each other you’ll need to be more diligent about keeping them both brushed. You can give the Papaya tablets to both rabbits. We had non wool rabbits and gave them to all once they got to about 3 months. Do you plan to harvest the wool?

You might want to feed them separately since 18% protein is pretty high for a neutered non wool rabbit. Since rabbits can groom each other you’ll need to be more diligent about keeping them both brushed. You can give the Papaya tablets to both rabbits. We had non wool rabbits and gave them to all once they got to about 3 months. Do you plan to harvest the wool?

Thank you so much, they both get brushed daily so I’m hoping that will be adequate, and I will get papaya tablets ASAP as they are 5 and 7 months. I’m not planning on harvesting the wool- which I know makes him an odd breed choice, but my bun showed a lot of interest in him, and he’s the sweetest little thing, plus the only male for adoption I could find.

Latest posts

Back