New and Need Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyxis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I accidentally got a rabbit last night. And no, I don't mean I made an impulse purchase at a pet store. I found, in my yard, a rabbit. She (I'm just saying she, I have no idea) is a tannish color, looks kind of like a wild rabbit, but is not scared of people, so I don't know if she is a wild rabbit and something happened to her or if she was a pet rabbit with similar coloring that was dumped here.

She also seems to have some head trauma, and when I found her was bleeding from the ear, but that, thankfully, has stopped. At this point I'm still not 100% sure that she'll survive whatever happened to her, since she holds her head to the side constantly and seems to have some brain or nerve damage.

I tried to get her to a wildlife rehabber but the nearest one is three hours from me and is not willing to meet me in the middle, so I'm all the little bunny has for now. I have made a vet appointment to get her checked out but in the meantime I need a crash course on what to do for her.

I've been keeping her warm, as when I found her I think she was in shock. She has peed with no blood in it, so I'm optimistic that she doesn't have any serious internal injuries, whatever happened to her. She's currently in a rabbit cage I had stashed that I usually use for my chicks, and she's in my workshop with a heat lamp.

I guess I need to know what to do for her, what she should be eating, things I should look for in terms of illness - basically anything you can think of that can get me through till the vet visit. Also, if she really does have nerve damage, I may have to keep her unless I can change the mind of the rehabber that refuses to meet me, so housing ideas (I'd keep her outside) are welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

This is a great place to find answers to questions about rabbit care. I have had pet rabbits for a few months now and have learned a great deal here. Some more experienced people will probably post some more info, but to get you started I'll share what I know.

Rabbits are usually fed grass hay, pellets and leafy green veggies. You should provide a water bowl, something like a crock that isn't easily tipped over. Since you raise chicks, it sounds like you may live on a farm so you may have some grass hay available to you. Timothy hay or orchard grass are good.

If you can post a picture it might help us identify if it's a wild rabbit or domesticated.

Careful with the heat lamp, rabbits do not tolerate heat well and can succumb to heat related death easily. If you are worried she is cold give her a blanket that she can burrow under.

Give her some greens ( romaine, parsley, basil, dandelion greens...just to name a few)

If she is friendly she most likely is domestic, she either got hurt by a animal or it could she could of been abused.

Keep us posted! Good luck

There are rabbit-knowledgeable veterinarians in the U.S. and Canada. A partial list is available at www.rabbit.org, the House Rabbit Society's website.

The "holds her head to the side constantly" observation...is she able to move independently? Does she appear to have a good sense of balance?

Many wildlife rehab people are volunteers who don't even get reimbursed for gas money, so don't be too hard on the rehabber. S/he may be overwhelmed already; it's bird migration season.

I hope the bunny's problems heal and that you have a good and grateful new friend.

Can you give us an update on your found rabbit?

Latest posts

Back