New adoption is secretly pregnant.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glazcia

Reaction score
I adopted a female rabbit monday, 2 days ago. I named her Rabitha. I have a male rabbit named Bunnadict, I was hoping to bond them. Bunnadict was nuetered about a week ago, he hasn't met Rabitha yet. I was planning to have her spayed and introduce her to Bunnadict after she healed.

I felt her side while petting her and felt something small roll passed my fingers. I looked into rabbit pregnancy online and decided I was probably mistaking pellets in her digestive system for babies. I dismissed the thought as paranoia and scheduled her to be spayed next Tuesday.

I left for the day and came home late to find that she has been ripping out her fur and building a nest. I felt her side again and there are definitely little ones in there. Maybe they descended or something making them more noticeable.

I only just discovered the pregnancy, I don't know anything about this. I don't want her to have babies but I don't know if it's still safe to spay her.

Does can be spayed while pregnant, but if you can easily feel them and she's pulling fur, she's probably very close to giving birth and it's likely too late. I would recommend ringing your vet back, letting them know you think she's quite far along in a pregnancy. They could check her out to see if she is to far along to be spayed.

Otherwise, I think the best thing you can do is prepare for the babies. Where did you adopt her from? If it was a shelter and they didn't let you know she was pregnant, they might take the babies in to adopt out for you after their old enough to leave their mother.

She was from a friend's neighbor. I was originally going to get a nuetered male from a shelter. My friend's mom told me about the female rabbit next door. She was unwanted and neglected so I thought it would be nice to give her a better home. I didn't meet the neighbor, I was told they have a history of abandoning animals. They'd recently dropped their cat off in a field because they didn't want it anymore. I don't think anyone knew she was pregnant.

I don't have the funds for a vet at the moment. I was going to take her to the Best Friend's clinic, they have low cost spay ($50 for a rabbit) and were very good with my other pets.

How long after giving birth can she be spayed?
Would I still be able to bond her with my neutered male?
How long until I can introduce them?

If she's nesting then she could have them anywhere from a day to a week from now. Rabbit's typically wean their young between 4-6 weeks old. You could probably get her spayed after they're weaned.

Any time after weaning is probably fine for spaying, though maybe give it until 8 weeks in case she's run-down from raising her babies. Most importantly, keep her away from the male, she can get pregnant again even while carrying and straight after birth.

You will still be able to attempt bonding after she is spayed, you will likely need to wait 4-6 weeks after her spay for all her hormones to fully dissipate before trying to bond. I would wait until then to introduce them.

She had her babies this morning. 11 little ones curled up in the hay. That was really fast.

Latest posts

Back