Never gains weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Can rabbits be wormed? Or is there any other reason a bunny may be constantly skinny?

Since he was a wee bubs Merlin has been quite thin and boney. He doesn't look it because of his fluff, but when I pet him I can feel the ridges of his spine. I used to feed him 1/4 cup timothy Oxbow plus one cup of veggies, but a year ago I changed his pellets to 1/5 cup timothy Oxbow plus 1/5 cup alfalfa Harringtons, thinking the extra nutrition from the alfalfa pellets would give him a weight boost.

That gave him a urinary calcium problem so now I'm transitioning him back to 100% Oxbow. However, even the addition of alfalfa pellets didn't do anything to his boney frame. And I know I am already feeding him too much pellets because Sasha gets exactly the same as he gets, as they are similar in size and activity levels, and she has put on a subtle but noticeable layer of chub.

Why might Merlin have trouble gaining mass? I'm thinking maybe worms?

Worms is my first thought and I would recommend giving them both treatment for it. If that doesn't work then I would be looking into other options.

Thanks! Can I use any cat worming product or are specific brands dangerous like in flea treatments? Also, the same dosage as cats?

You should get a fecal test done at the vet. It would determine if there are worms and what kind. Some medications don't treat every parasite, so you can treat but not actually treat what you rabbit may have.

Yeah, no idea on the products. Definitely something to ask a vet about I would think.

Latest posts

Back