Never call area code (809) from USA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myheart

Reaction score
I just wanted to give everyone the heads-up on a new phone scam. I received an e-mail at work concerning phone messagesleft that request people to call to area codes (809), (284), and (876) because of a prize drawing or sick family member.

Here is the e-mail...

We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code . The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly. I Have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809 . 'We didn't respond'
Then this week, we received the following e-mail:
DON'T DIAL AREA CODE 809 , 284 AND 876
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T . DON'T DIAL AREA CODE 809
This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

Be sure you read this and pass it on.

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, or to let you know yo u have won a wonderful prize, etc.
In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right a way. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.
Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than
$24,100.00
WHY IT WORKS:
The 809
area code is located in the Dominican Republic. They are not regulated by the US laws.
The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.
Please forward this entire message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam

This message was sent by an AT&T Field Service Manager with name and number included. Please pass information along, as I believe I have received such a call left on my answering machine from a the (809) area. I deleted the message because I knew I didn't enter any drawings for a prize and it just seemed so "scam-like" in the first place.
Above all, please tell elderly relatives!!! They are so easy to con into such calls.

Thanks for the extra information. I wanted to get the word out that those wonderful scammersthat prey on people who really think that they have won a prize are still out there. I went home after work last night and checked my caller ID, but did not find an 809 area code. I know I did receive a message that I "won a prize and should call back to claim it." I also know that the edlerly are more prone to calling these numbers (I know of someone who did call and her daughter ended up taking control of her money because she was scammed twice because "the guy sounded so nice.").

Please watch over others who are not as careful about such things.

myheart

Latest posts

Back