Neutralizing Dog Scent in Used Dog Crate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neena

Bunny Obsessed
Reaction score
I am planning to get my first bunny by the end of this month. A friend gave me an old dog crate of hers. It's big, in pretty good condition, and I don't think a dog has been in it for years, but I'm sure a rabbit could detect some dog scent in it. I was planning to wash it thoroughly with vinegar.

Does that sound like it will work?

Thank for the link, it has some useful info (especially the plans for a second floor -- looks great).

My main concern is that the new bun might be uncomfortable with old dog scent in her new cage, so I hope the vinegar will do the trick.

Try letting the vinegar sit for a bit, like a couple hours, to help with the smell. Rinse after.
There are pet enzyme cleaners that could help with any lingering smell.

I use a dog crate that my dog used to be in for one of my rabbits. She didn't seem phased by it at all. if you're that concerned, I'm sure washing it with a hose and some soap will be fine.

Thanks for the helpful replies! I'm relieved that this all sounds very doable, as getting this big free crate saved me money ^_^.

I've used several old dog kennels as rabbit cages (both for my own buns and for temporary guests) in the past. I've never done more than a normal clean with vinegar. I've never had a rabbit bothered by it before. Considering that I have dog, my whole house probably reeks (to a bun's nose, at least) of canine, and I've never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back