Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtfalcons111

Reaction score
Just to double check myself. When you bring a rabbit to get neutered you do not want to stop feeding or giving them water correct? This is what the vet told me but I would just like to double check because I know most other animals you need to stop them from eating.

Thanks

Your vet is correct. Rabbits cannot vomit so there is no risk of that happening during surgery, which is why you would fast a cat or dog. It is also dangerous to with hold food from a rabbit because it's digestive system relies on a constant food suppy to keep working. Lack of food can cause GI stasis, which is very dangerous and can cause death.

Rabbits can and should have food right up until surgery. Some vets might withhold it for a little bit (maybe 1/2 an hour) so there is no food in the esophagus. Rabbits should also have access to food right when they wake up so the digestive tract can get back to normal as soon as possible.
Ask the vet or other staff if you can bring pellets, hay and veggies for your rabbit. This would be especially important if what you feed is different than what they might have on hand. Familiar foods can help them eat as well. If there is a favourite treat, bring some of that too to see if they can give it to encourage your rabbit to eat.
Have some yummy foods at home for when he comes home. This will help him get back to eating sooner. Veggies are also good to help keep him hydrated, soak them in water and serve wet.

Latest posts

Back