Neutering my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you get your bunny fixed?

• Yes my girl was spayed

• Yes my boy was neutered

• No I did not

Results are only viewable after voting.

PipkinbunRibb

PippyBunny
Reaction score
I want to get my bunny Pipkin neutered because most people say that it makes them more loving pets. Is this true?

I also want to because my friend has a bunny and we want them to have "bunny Playdays" but her bunny is a girl and so I said I would get mine neutered so she didn't have to pay because I know usually girls are more expensive.

Which brings me to the next question are these procedures usually expensive? I mean like over 300$???

Finally, I was wondering if my bunny could become more aggressive after it is over rather than more loving? I would hate that :(

Please help!

Fixing a bunny jjust makes them better pets overall. They smell less, litter habits usually improve, for males usually stops spraying and humping, etc. I would go through with it. Prices can vary from $50-$300 for a neuter. Best bet is to call around to vets in your area to #1 get prices and #2 find out if they treat rabbits because some vets don't

As far as a playdate with your friend, pregnancy isn't the only thing to worry about. Rabbits are very territorial and can be downright mean to each other. A rabbit fight can get bloody and nasty! If her female isn't fixed, her bun will still have hormones that could make her grumpy towards another bun. So be very careful when introducing.

When I was making calls to get Rue neutered I had price ranges from $120 - $300.

I have picked a vet that has experience with rabbits. Its now what she specializes in but she has done lots of rabbit neuters and all successful. Her fee is $160

The vet that was going to be $300 specializes in small animal care. However its just way to much money for me right now.

I would really tell your friend she should get her girl spayed. Female rabbits that are not used for breeding can develop ovarian cancer, get kind of nasty and very territorial. Also even though your boy will be neutered, her not being spayed will likely still result in fights as her hormones will be driving her crazy.

Good luck :) My boy is going on Friday for his neuter.

I am getting my girls spayed in a couple of weeks. The vet is charging $200 per rabbit. There is a vet nearish my parents that charges $80 for males.

Healthwise, spaying is much more important than is neutering. An unspayed female has too much of a chance of getting reproductive cancer. So you should let your friend know this.

If your male is one of the lucky few who doesn't exhibit hormonal behaviors such as spraying, you could decide not to neuter him if it weren't for the play dates.

Okay thanks for all the answers! I'll let her know about getting her bunny spayed. Yeah my bunny doesnt have too much hormonal hanges but he does spray his pee sometimes :/ but we want to get this done anyways to make him happier and a better pet ;) so thaks to all of you!

bunny playdates are a bit iffy... it could work if they get along well and you approach it like a partial bonding process.

BOTH rabbits absolutely NEED to be fixed, not just one. always put them together in NEUTRAL territory (an outdoor pen would be great because it's least likely to smell like either bunny or feel like "their" territory, as opposed to inside one of your homes) and make sure they're very closely supervised the entire time/separated the moment a fight starts if there is one.

Latest posts

Back