Neutering... EXPENSIVE!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good you found someone. Originally we didn't have any choice and it cost $375. Did some checking around and found a vet 20 miles away that did a lot of rabbits, and since ours were all rescues, she waived the office visit fee (checkup) and gave us a break on the price--females, with pain meds and a follow-up cost $125 and males were $90. It was worth the drive and they really knew and loved bunnies. The prices in Arizona are definitely the least expensive we've come across.

I use to live in MA, right near the RI border. A few years ago I called around that area to get neutering prices and got a really wide range of diffrent answers. One place told me they usually ended up charging around $500 after everything was said and done, that was an all inclusive price. Most places went from around $150 - $300.

I found a low cost clinic in Fall River, MA, that at the time did rabbit neuters for around $65 I believe. But that was probably around 5 years ago and I know the price has increased at least a little.

I think this might have been the place I called that did the low cost for rabbits - but you'd have to call to get prices and I don't have any experience with them, so make sure they are rabbit savvy!

http://www.faxonarl.org/clinic.htm

Although spaying and neutering is routine, it is still a surgical procedure. Prices can also depend a lot on where you live. I took my dog to get neutered last year, and his vet clinic quoted me a price between $500 - $600 - that's their normal price for a neuter! I lucked out and only had to pay like $65 because my vets took the Friends of Animals voucher. Vets are really really expensive where I live now, unfortunately.

It costs about $80 for a rabbit neuter here about $100 for a spay. About the same as it costs for cats- but then there are no "rabbit savy" vets here- just a few that have worked on a couple with success.

tonyshuman wrote:
you can get them done for low cost at the Humane Society for $100 and $200+ at the vet school hospital.

Our shelter do not do offer spaying to the public. But the rabbits up for adoption is $50 which includes spaying.

I paid about $250 to spay my Bebe at a local vet several years ago.

Dragonrain wrote:
Although spaying and neutering is routine, it is still a surgical procedure.
Some of the vets at our shelter just do that. The entire shift, they fix cats, dogs, and if they have time, they do rabbits.

I attended some of the operations, when 10 rabbits were scheduled for surgery.

1149_241555_020000000.jpg

1149_090100_120000000.jpg

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Dragonrain wrote:
Although spaying and neutering is routine, it is still a surgical procedure.
Some of the vets at our shelter just do that. The entire shift, they fix cats, dogs, and if they have time, they do rabbits.

This is true and it's one of the things the vets make sure to tell people when they come in for "spay days" with their cats. I volunteer at these events, where we do an average of 20 spays and 15 neuters of cats in one day. The cost for any person is just $30, and it is $10 for those with low-income or for feral/barn cats. They also get the appropriate vaccines and microchipping is just $5. Our shelter has a really strong commitment to having all pets spayed or neutered and for that reason they subsidize the cost of these events and also have gotten a grant from a non-profit to help with the cost as well, particularly for the ferals and low-income. The $100 rabbit spay/neuter probably costs the shelter more than $100 as well, but it's their commitment to getting all pets fixed that is the reason they pay part of the cost of the surgery for those who can't afford the $200+ surgery at a private clinic. It is of course cheaper to adopt a bunny that's already been fixed by the shelter vet--around $30-45.

Going to help with these events has really improved my faith in vets, in particular those that either work for the shelter or volunteer to do high-volume spay/neuter clinics. They really have to be "on their game" to spay or neuter animals they've never seen before for hours straight, often with only volunteers without formal medical training (ie, me) to help them in the OR. A lot of the time, the animals may be a bit ill as well, at some stage of pregnancy, or have some deformities from inbreeding. I would be totally comfortable having the shelter vet do a spay or neuter on any of my animals, and the same goes for the other vets that volunteer at the clinics occasionally.

tonyshuman wrote:
I would be totally comfortable having the shelter vet do a spay or neuter on any of my animals, and the same goes for the other vets that volunteer at the clinics occasionally.

Yes, because they volunteer their own time to do it. And becausethey do so many, they becomeso good and can do it record time with no complications.

When I get attached to a rabbit, Iam allowed toattend their surgeries.

Latest posts

Back