Neutering Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
So I'm getting a bunny. NOt sure if I'm getting a doe or buck.. but if I get a buck, and since I've never had a buck before, this is a whole new thing to me. 1. How much will it usually cost to getit neutered? Also, I've heard once in a while a buck will spray, so that's one of the reasons and also they've got a better temperment and are more trainable. Just want to get others input since Ihavn't had a buck before. Is this right? Imput? Thanks! :)

Price really depends on where you live. Some areas it can be as low as $50 (this is usually with low cost clinics though), while others can be $300. The averages seem to be $150-200.

Neutering removes the testicles, which in turn eliminates the reproductive hormones. These hormones are generally responsible for behaviours such as spraying, marking, humping, circling as well as some other behaviours. It does not change the temperament or personality, and changes you see are due to the lack of those hormones. However, most people don't like being humped, sprayed and getting love dances all the time, and prefer the mellower behaviour of a neutered male.
As far as training, they may be more focused on working rather than mating. Intact males are still very trainable and can be easier if they are really focused on you.

I would say that if you have no plans for showing or breeding and just want a nice pet, then get the rabbit neutered. You won't have to deal with the behaviours and can just be happy with a nice pet who won't drive you nuts because of hormones (they will do it otherwise though).

Also keep in mind that females also have some unwanted behaviours if kept intact. They can also really want to mate and this can result in humping and tail lifting. They also tend to be more territorial and can also be aggressive especially in the cage. Some females also will spray and mark territory. Females also have a higher risk of cancer if left intact. Spaying is more expensive, usually about $25-75 more than males.

I neutered one buck, and I will probably never ever do it EVER again. He acts like a hormonal doe, it's terrible.

My suggestion, though probably most of the users here will disagree, is to wait until he is a year old to neuter him, if he even needs it. Bucks have always been the most loving and cuddly rabbits I've owned, which is 10 out of my 24 total rabbits. It's cheaper, yes, but I'd still consider it expensive because I don't think it's needed.

If you get a doe, though, spay her as soon as possible! Does are awful, terrible. Even my nice does are not even close to as nice as my worst bucks.

Taffy is a female, but is in a whole different hutch. And is 5 1/2 yrs. old. THe male bunny I just got ( still remains nameless because he's tooo adorable for all the names I've thought of) isn't going to be allowed near her, even if I am to nauter him as Taffy is sooo agressive to other bunnies.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Neutering removes the testicles, which in turn eliminates the reproductive hormones. These hormones are generally responsible for behaviours such as spraying, marking, humping, circling as well as some other behaviours.

I'd like to add that my intact male does this with my cats (no humping yet). But he will pee on them and circle and bite them. He's even started a few fights with them (tail lifting, getting under their bellies to bite them) which isn't a good idea to do with a cat. Luckily one of my cats is pretty mellow. Sooo in my case he is definately getting neutered, as soon as his ear is healed :grumpy:

Of course I'm pretty sure I got a pretty dominate male.

Latest posts

Back