Neutered male with intact female?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo the Lop

Reaction score
I have a 4 month male and a 5 month female. The male is getting neutered in few weeks. Can they live in the same cage after that or is it necessary they both are neutered?

Typically females are quite territorial. It's possible she won't allow him back in "her" territory once he's had time to heal after neuter surgery. (He's still able to get her pregnant in the days following neuter surgery, and his hormones can take 6-8 weeks to fully dissipate after surgery.)

It's advised to get females spayed to prevent uterine cancer as well since they have a higher chance of getting cancer when intact.

There are the rare occasions when a particular intact female that is quite submissive will be ok with another rabbit. But bonds formed with an intact rabbit are more likely to break apart -- sometimes after months or years of being fine together.

No, not necessary. Over here that's a quite common combination.

But there are several good reasons for getting the girl spayed, especially if you keep them indoors. Intact does, depending on character, can indulge in quite obnoxious behaviours, like markintg their territory, or being "destructive" (they don't see it that way :) ), and those false pregnancys some go through frequently with a vengeance or sometimes hard to watch, and they can be quite annoying to room mates at times ( I have two pairs of intact does, and one was my house bunny for 8 months).
There's that cancer scare too, although there is indeed some risk that is a good reason to spay it isn't as dire as people like to claim.

Since all but one of my rabbits are intact, I can't say that there's a problem with staying bonded.Imho their social lives is more, well, lets say diversified, depending on mood and hormones, and they are over all more active than my spayed doe, but they make great teams. Rabbits are social by nature, that's not something that comes from spaying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back