Neutered male mounting again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well steve and cali have been living happily together for almost two years now. Both are fixed. I never determined who is top rabbit, she grooms him more but she also nips him when she wants him out of the way. Recently he started buzzing at her, and mounting her, mostly her face but occasionally the "right" way. I stop it when I see it happening but he is relentless. She mostly just tolerates it but sometimes she runs away and he chases. It is driving me nuts. Nothing around here has changed except maybe some noisy bathroom renos we've been doing off and on. Nothing noisy for the last few days though. Both rabbits are healthy, eating and pooping normally. What the heck do I do? I'm going away for a week this Friday and my mother in law will be watching them, so I'll need to tell her what to do also. Help!

It could be 'spring fever'. Rabbits can start showing a surge of hormonal behavior as spring approaches, even fixed rabbits. I have a spayed female that has started a little bit of nesting behavior. Didn't last long, but it was a first for her.

Not sure there is much you can do, unless it starts causing problems with the bond and you have to separate. But hopefully that doesn't happen. Hopefully it doesn't last long, and shouldn't if just the typical spring fever. However, if it continues and doesn't let up or worsens, you probably should have a vet check. Health problems can sometimes cause a rabbit to exhibit abnormal behaviors like this.

Spring fever, that makes sense.. So far it's not causing any issues for them, sometimes he will binky away when he gets in trouble for it and she usually lays her head flat and lets him do it. And the buzzing is oh so cute. Thanks I will just monitor and hope he gets it out of his system soon.

Latest posts

Back