Neutered male has "Spring Fever"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I've heard about a ton of bunnies getting spring fever lately. Bugs is neutered though. He's lately wanted nothing to do with me and it hurts my feelings because we're so close. Before he slept in my bed every night and now he only jumps on my bed when he gets scared. He's been grunting at my sister when she goes to play with him. She will hold his toys in front of him (not directly in his face, but so that he notices it) and usually he will throw it or chew on it. He's grunted and walked away when she does this multiple times this week. He usually gives me kisses at least once a day, he hasn't done it in a week. This all started about a week ago. Should I be concerned that he's getting sick? This is his first spring, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Is this normal bunny behavior? If so, how do I make him like me again?

Is he eating(hay, pellets, and veggies), drinking, and pooping normally? Does he happen to be molting right now? Is he limping, reluctant to hop around, straining to urinate, having uncharacteristic peeing accidents, drooling, dropping food from his mouth, or exhibiting any other unusual or odd behaviors? Have there been any changes to his environment or anything new in your home that might be a cause of the upset?

Grumpiness isn't a typical spring fever behavior, so I would be more concerned it's a developing health issue making him feel unwell. Spring fever behavior has more to do with increased hormonal behavior(even for spayed/neutered buns) and burrow building behavior(chewing, digging, nest building). So rabbits will sometimes exhibit increased humping, spraying, digging, nest building, and chewing behaviors, and be much more active and distracted than is usual.

He is eating normally. He just got through a shed a few weeks ago though. He seems fine other than being grumpy. He is digging and chewing a lot more than usual. He is digging at his cage blanket now. I've been letting him run around our living room for about an hour a day lately. He will run very fast from my room to the living room. He binkies and even flopped on the couch! I also transitioned him to using a hay rack, but I do put some hay in the actual litterbox in case he doesn't want to use the hay rack. He does seem to like it though. He could just happen to not be in the mood when we want to play or snuggle.

Latest posts

Back