Neutered last night and already pulled out one stitch!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
[I had this in the Nutrition and Behaviour section but it is probably better off here!]

My little angel Horatio has already pulled out a stich on one of his wounds! He has internal stitches and then 1 stitch on each testicle. The other one is looking lose too. They look saw red but no open skin or oozing of any kind. He seems so happy too like nothing happened! No painful teeth grinding and he had a little hop around this morning and ate lots of hay. He is pooping and weeing fine too.

Should I be worried? I will be keeping a close eye on it, but hopefully just resticing his time out it should heal okay on it's own? He wasn't given any pain meds (normal for Australian vets), and doesn't seem to be in any physical pain. He even flopped today while I was petting him which he wouldn't do if it hurt him.

I'm worried if I put Betadine on him he will just lick it off and get sick :(

Thoughts? If the wounds open up I will go back to the vet and get them re-stitched and maybe even have to get a cone for the poor baby :(

For the first few days thetesticular sacs will be red from the procedure but the concern is if the area becomes even more red (rather than starting to fade) and if the area gets more puffy and swollen indicating an infection.

You may want to give your vet a call and tell him that the stitches are out . Also continue to monitor the area.
Occasionally our shelter males need to go back for a recheck but since the vets use laser there is minimal trauma to the area and most heal fine.

Thank you so much for that! I will definitely monitor it closely, and my mum has told her about the stitches as she is a close family friend. Because there are internal stitches too, it shouldn't split apart should it? So far it hasn't.

I will be keeping an eye out for increased redness or any weeping etc. from the wound. I know that means bad news and he will be taken to the vet immediately. I couldn't live without my little man, so I will be extra careful with his recovery for sure.

Thank you again for the information and help!

I'm assuming he's being kept somewhat confined, no jumping & only a little hopping, so do you think he tried to pull the stitches out?

Latest posts

Back