Neutered last night and already pulled out one stitch!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyabrooke

Reaction score
My little angel Horatio has already pulled out a stich on one of his wounds! He has internal stitches and then 1 stitch on each testicle. The other one is looking lose too. They look saw red but no open skin or oozing of any kind. He seems so happy too like nothing happened! No painful teeth grinding and he had a little hop around this morning and ate lots of hay. He is pooping and weeing fine too.

Should I be worried? I will be keeping a close eye on it, but hopefully just resticing his time out it should heal okay on it's own? He wasn't given any pain meds (normal for Australian vets), and doesn't seem to be in any physical pain. He even flopped today while I was petting him which he wouldn't do if it hurt him.

I'm worried if I put Betadine on him he will just lick it off and get sick :(

Thoughts? If the wounds open up I will go back to the vet and get them re-stitched and maybe even have to get a cone for the poor baby :(

I would call the vet and see what they say about it. my little man just had his neuter done and they used some sort of glue instead of stitches for that exact reason.

Its good that your buns not in pain, but I reckon that ripping out a stitch would definitely increase chance of infection.

Hope it all works out! Good luck!

Just an update on my little man - He is doing VERY well! For a couple of days after the surgery his scrotum filled with fluid and it was very worrying. It was still acting very normal though and was bounding around happily. We looked it up online and it can be a side affect to having the testicles taken out because it reacts to the spare space and fills it with fluid. They are almost completely deflated now though! Both sides are scabbing well - He took both sides of stitches out.... little bugger! But even though he did that they are looking very good. They have some healing to do though, but he is eating lots of bok choy and his hay and pellets. He is such a little trooper!

We keep an eye on his wounds every day and we are hoping for a speedy recovery :D

Latest posts

Back