Neutered bun dripping urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeldatd

Reaction score
Hi all,
My 2-yr old bun (neutered at 6 mos) has been dribbling urine--I find a few drops scattered here and there. The dribbling has been increasing, though. Before I found only the occasional drop, recently, I've found 3-4 scattered drops nearish the litterbox (but some found on carpet and bed elsewhere). He has otherwise impeccable litterbox habits. The vet can't find a good reason for it so I thought I'd appeal to this forum for help.

What has been ruled out:
1) took x-ray, no sludge, no stones
2) blood test revealed a past infection of e. cuniculi, but not an active infection; he was treated with panacur just in case and finished treatment in Feb)
3) he was neutered at 6 mos so likely not spraying
4) vet says UTI not likely (no blood in urine, no straining)

My bun is a free roam male Nethie (false dwarf), has free access to hay, water bowl, gets 1 cup greens daily and 3-5 single pellets a day (Science Selective house rabbit version, as per vet, more eventually sends him into stasis), willow and apple leaves for treats, and 4-5 times a week, one tsp of Flopper's Garden "serenity snack" (green oat tops, chamomile, willow leaves, rose hips)

Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance,
Zelda

Are you sure he's dribbling urine, or is he spraying? Dribbling will usually cause their bum/genital fur to be consistently wet.

"Dribbling" was perhaps the wrong term--dripping might be more appropriate. Yes, no sign of urine scald and no wet bum, but occasionally, I do see a tiny bit of urine staining that he's not cleaning off entirely. I don't think he's spraying? Unless spraying consists of just one or two drops at a time? He didn't spray even before he was neutered (but he was neutered at 6 months).

It's possible he could have the start of some sort of bladder issue, so maybe why he's only dribbling a tiny bit at this point. Some possible options to try are having a urinalysis done(if one wasn't done already), to see if there are any abnormalities with the urine. You could ask your vet to try the anti inflammatory meloxicam to see if it might be inflammation related, and/or try an antibiotic course like baytril in case it really is a UTI. You could also try diet changes in case high oxalate greens or high calcium greens are causing irritation in the bladder. Even though no build up showed on xray, there could still be sediment in the urine causing irritation. Those are a few things that I can think of that might cause unusual and sudden urine dribbling.

Thanks for the suggestions, JBun! I can start with the greens and I'll follow up with the vet. Appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back