Neuter Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sana Khanam

Reaction score
I have 2 bunnies one male and female. They already have 3 kits but due to lack of space we cannot afford to have more. So i have bought separate cages for them.

Is it safe if they are kept separately? As for now I am a student and can't afford to get both of them neutered at once.

I'm sorry you are just now getting a response. I think you're asking about housing the kits separately? How old are the kits? The male and female should be housed apart, and if the kits are 2 months+ they should also be housed apart.

Thanks for the reply.

The kits are 3 months old now and the buck and doe are also kept apart.

But for how long can I keep them apart like this, I fear what if they somehow manage to meet like the last time and have more kits!

Put ALL of them in separate cages. The babies will start mating. Put the cages at least 12" apart and don't let any of the rabbits out in the room you are keeping them in. If any of the babies are girls, you can put them with the mom. Just be 100% sure that they are girls.

Right, high time to seperate male from female kits. Don't let any rabbits together that are not housed together. As been said, girls can stay with mum. Even if you are sure that you sexed them right, check them again after a few days, and if you aren't absolutly sure get a second opinion, like posting pictures here. I know how difficult it can be to get it right.
If male and female get together you're getting more rabbits, the record of mine to get the deed done when I didn't want them to is under 30 seconds.

Uhm, 12"? More like at least 1/2", so they can't stick their nose through and bite the bunny in the next cage.

You can neuter their father first, after 4-6 weeks after neutering you can keep him safely with females (after bonding). Then if your kits are already 3 months old you should be able to sex them and separate girls from boys immediately as they can start breeding at 14 weeks. Girls can be kept with mother for a couple more months (or sometimes they can bond naturally and live together, but not always, as they grow they can become territorial and start fighting, but until 4-5 months they should be okay). If there are any boys they should be separated completely, you can't keep them with father as they can hurt each other, you can't keep them with mother and sisters as well as they will make more babies very soon, so only separate and maybe start looking for new homes for them.
Here you will find information how to sex your babies
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/sexing-rabbit-pictures.44936/

Latest posts

Back