Neuter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leopold_Ruby

Reaction score
I adopted a bonded pair of brothers. I am getting them neutered, but can only do one at a time. I read bonds should never be seperated so should they go together even though only ones getting neutered monday? Or can one stay home.

One is fine, they mean they shouldn't be sent to permanent separate homes, not that they can't be apart for a short time.

If they are young and un-neutered, it's unlikely they are properly bonded anyway, so I would just take the one. You will probably need to keep them separate on his return anyway so that his surgery site can heal properly. For bonded adult rabbits, separating them for a trip to the vet can be a bad idea, because the rabbit who goes to the vet has been taken into a stressful situation without his/her bond mate who would help them to stay calm, and they may also come back smelling a little different which can throw off the rabbit who stayed behind. So when they're adults and properly bonded, I would be taking both. If they're only a few months old, you're probably fine to take just the one since as they mature an intact male is unlikely to stay bonded to a neutered one.

I'm not going to seperate them after surgery! They sleep and groom and are never a foot away from each other. That plus a neuter might stress them out even more! They really
Enjoy each other. They'll be neutered so no future hormones can come hurt their relationship

When I said separate after surgery, I should have clarified as I meant more two cages against one another, just so that the other bunny can't get to wound or anything. As opposed to a full separation on opposite sides of a room or in a separate room.

Other people with bonded bunnies may have some experiences to share in regards to care post-neuter and whether or not the bunnies needed to be housed separately.

Latest posts

Back