Neuter and bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Button

Reaction score
I am possibly getting a male Holland lop and plan on getting him neutered and bond home with my female mini lop. Just wondering how long o should wait after I get him neutered until I can start bonding. Also, any Holland lop tips or bonding tips would be helpful! Thanks! Pictures are of my female whose name is Emmi!9DC8BA90-3CD1-4B20-9281-C552C5837776.jpegBB32A6EE-AF9A-4F4C-B580-03EA154D2E6E.jpeg9DC8BA90-3CD1-4B20-9281-C552C5837776.jpeg

You need to wait 6-8 weeks after surgery to begin the bonding process. However, there is the risk that they will not bond.

The better way to find a bondmate is to allow your girl to choose her bondmate. This can be done by introducing her to other already-fixed males. This allows you to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Rabbit rescues do this routinely. If you bring a rabbit home to bond with her and they simply refuse to get along, then the rescue (typically) allows for an exchange. This is really the most sure way to end up with a compatible match.

On more than one occasion have I had to exchange a rabbit during bonding because my bun was being quite choosey. Of course, you won't have that option if you start with an intact male and wait until he's old enough to neuter, then spend all the money on the neuter, then wait the 6-8 weeks... only then to find out that they don't get along. (one cannot 'pre-screen' a baby rabbit because babies will change with the onset of hormones)

Btw, your bun is adorable! There are a number of rabbit rescues (different than generic shelters) in MN.

For bonding, always use a neutral space such as a bathroom or bathtub so they can’t smell themselves and be territorial.

going on 30 minute car rides with them in the same carrier is a great way to “stress bond” your rabbits. As they will be nervous and seek each other for support.

also, swap out stuffed animals or blankets from their cages while your buck is healing so they can get used to each other’s scent before meeting.

she’s adorable by the way! 🥰 I wish you the best of luck bonding them!

Latest posts

Back