Netherland vs polish vs hotot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
What can owners of these breeds tell me about their personalities and their behaviors? I don't know much about them. I have encountered a few in pet stores but they probably weren't letting their personalities shine through. They came off as high strung and skittish. I probably would too if random people were grabbing me in my home all day....

Last edited:
I had a girl hotot bunny that was one of the sweetest, happiest, and friendliest rabbits that I've ever had. She wasn't afraid of anything and loved everyone. I have a male hotot now. He wasn't used to people or being handled when I got him, so he was scared of me. He would run to the back of his cage to hide and didn't want me touching him. He ended up getting sick and I had to nurse him through it, so I had to handle him alot. He got used to it and even started liking me giving him nose rubs. Now he is totally used to me, isn't afraid anymore, and LOVES his nose rubs. My girl hotot rabbits do seem more moody than the boys. But there are always exceptions like the first girl hotot that I had. Every rabbit is just going to be different no matter the breed. Try and spend a little time getting to know which ever rabbit you are interested in getting. If a rabbit is nervous when you are looking at them, they will more than likely be nervous when you take them home, but that doesn't mean they can't end up being a wonderful rabbit though.

Thank you kindly for you input :D When I worked at a pet store I remember getting a litter of hotots in one day. The girl had bought a female and it was pregnant when she got it. Unsure what to do she asked if we would take them and find them homes. They were the tiniest, funniest little buggers :D They looked very glam with their fancy eye make up!

We've raised all three breeds. Polish are the most laid back and generally the most hardy. Dwarf Hotots have long been known as the "Jaws of the Fancy", however strict culling has improved disposition over the years. I've never been bitten by a Polish, but have been bitten by Dwarf Hotots and Netherlands. Of course, these are just generalizations - dispositions can vary widely among individuals.

Thanks for the reply! Obviously, each bunny is an individual but thank you for your input from your experiences! I did find a nice polish by in need of a home, but he cannot tolerate other bunnies. He doesn't even tolerate being in the same house as one! He needs to be a singleton bunny, and then he is very sweet and calm. BUMMER! The search continues!

This is a few days late, but my current guy is a Hotot x (Mini Lop?) and he is a grump. I have handled him since day one, letting him out of his cage to run around the living room on a regular basis, and having him out on the couch with me either for brushing (for bonding) or just to sit on me and I can pet him. Now he is cage aggressive, if I open his cage to give him food, clean his litterbox, or pet him, he grunts at me and sometimes will lunge at me, scratching and trying to bite (has actually started grunting and lunging at me out of his cage when I'm trying to catch him to put him back in).
My last (and first) rabbit was a Netherland x, and he was sweet. When I would go to pick him up, he would just cower down and lay still, no grunting, or lunging or anything. I could hold him, and pet him, and brush him. When he was out, and I would just say "go back home" and kind of chase him out of where he was, and he would jump back into his cage.
Both males, both neutered, got my 1st one (Thor) at about 5-6 months old, and I have had Louie since he was about 2-3 months old.

Just my 2 cents :happybunny:

The lunging and grunting could have to do with him not feeling well and maybe being in pain. Especially if he didn't use to be like this.

JBun when we was small he wasn't bad, would fight to be picked up, but as he's gotten older, he's gotten worse, starting with a bit of grunting at me, I hoped it would go away with neutering, but it didn't, it has just progressed to where he is now. I do hope part of it is him not feeling well, but I really don't think so unfortunately.

What are the recommendations for bunnies with bad temperament? Is it like a dog that is dangerous where they put them down? (Sorry if this question offends someone!)

Our Polish doe isn't moody at all, and she's toddler-proof even. They're generally the most laid back dwarf I've ever met.

It depends on who you ask. The usual response to a cage-aggressive doe around here is "breed her". I had a mean little netherland, who was cage aggressive. I just put up with it. I didn't back down and let her chase me away, I would put on gloves and reach my hand in there and pet her. I eventually got her to the point where I could fill the food bowl without getting attacked.

What are the recommendations for bunnies with bad temperament? Is it like a dog that is dangerous where they put them down? (Sorry if this question offends someone!)

We had a house bunny years ago who could be rather crabby, but we just adored her. They are all special gifts in their own way. :heartbeat:

I have a bunny who is 1/4 Netherland, and he is the sweetest tamest bunny EVER and he's intact. I just love him. But he's 3/4 Mini Rex, so I think that's where most of his personality comes from. From my experience, Polish are the sweetest and tamest of the three. If I get another bunny, it will definitely be a Polish. Nethies are a close second.

Latest posts

Back